Is Gibbs Sampling More Efficient Than Metropolis-Hastings?

In summary, Natski is looking for a more efficient method than Metropolis-Hastings for fitting model parameters to observational data. They have heard of Gibbs sampling and are seeking confirmation of its efficiency and a simple guide on how to make the switch from Metropolis-Hastings. A good resource for beginners on Gibbs sampling is available on John D. Cook's website.
natski
Hi all,

I have used Metropolis-Hastings rules in a Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) algorithm for a few months now. I feel quite confident with this method and I use it frequently for fitting various model parameters to observational data. Already I feel that computational time is really hindering the MCMC method and I require something more efficient.

I have heard that Gibbs sampling is a more efficient method than Metropolis-Hastings, can anyone confirm this first of all? Second, most of the literature on Gibbs sampling I have Googled is quite confusing to me and I would really appreciate it if anyone knows of a very good and simple guide (i.e. for "dummies") on how to make the upgrade from Metropolis-Hastings to the more advanced Gibbs sampling.

Thanks in advance,

Natski

Technology news on Phys.org
Hi Natski,

Gibbs sampling is indeed more efficient than the Metropolis-Hastings algorithm. It is a Markov Chain Monte Carlo method of sampling from a multivariate probability distribution. You can find a good and simple guide to Gibbs sampling on the website of John D. Cook, where he explains the basics of Gibbs sampling for beginners. He also provides some examples which can help you understand how to use Gibbs sampling in practice. I hope this helps. Best of luck!

Related to Is Gibbs Sampling More Efficient Than Metropolis-Hastings?

What is Gibbs Sampling?

Gibbs Sampling is a Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) algorithm used for sampling from a probability distribution when it is difficult to sample directly. It is a popular method for Bayesian inference and can be used to estimate the posterior distribution of a parameter given some observed data.

How does Gibbs Sampling work?

Gibbs Sampling works by iteratively sampling from the conditional distributions of each variable in a model, while holding all other variables fixed. This process allows for the generation of a sequence of samples that eventually converge to the target distribution.

What are the advantages of using Gibbs Sampling?

One of the main advantages of Gibbs Sampling is that it can be used to sample from complex and high-dimensional distributions, which are difficult to sample from using other methods. It also allows for the incorporation of prior knowledge and can handle missing data easily.

What are the limitations of Gibbs Sampling?

Gibbs Sampling can be computationally expensive, especially for large datasets or complex models. It also relies on the assumption that the variables in the model are conditionally independent, which may not always be true.

How can Gibbs Sampling be implemented?

Gibbs Sampling can be implemented using a variety of programming languages, such as R, Python, and MATLAB. There are also several software packages, such as JAGS and Stan, that provide tools for implementing Gibbs Sampling and other MCMC algorithms.