Is gravity repulsive at particle scales?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of gravity acting as a repulsive force when particles are placed in close proximity, but no credible sources could be found to support this theory. The topic also touches on the incomplete understanding of quantum gravity and the concept of the infrared-ultraviolet connection, where higher energy particles can probe shorter distance scales but may also create black holes. Ultimately, without a reference, it is difficult to address the details of the topic, leading to the conclusion that the original idea may have been misremembered.
Tipped
A while back (several years ago), I recall reading that when two particles are placed in very close proximity to each other, gravity begins to act as a repulsive force. I began looking for that source recently, but can find no reference to it (except one source of dubious credulity). Could someone inform me whether I am recalling correctly? Or perhaps incorrectly, as I suspect?
As a side note, I do know that the state of quantum gravity is still incomplete/unknown, so any pointers to hypotheses/theories (defunct or still in debate) where what I recall is actually correct would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
This doesn't sound right to me. The closest I can come is what Leonard Susskind calls the infrared-ultraviolet connection. This is the idea that you can probe shorter and shorter distance scales by using particles of higher energy and shorter wavelength, but at some point the high-energy projectile hits the target you're imaging so hard that it forms a black hole. Once you start forming black holes, the radius of the black hole actually *increases* with energy, so you aren't probing shorter distance scales anymore.

Cool. But I'm pretty sure that what I was reading about wasn't about things that could really be probed with light. Perhaps more theoretical?

I think it will be very hard to address the details without a reference. It certainly sounds like you are misremembering.

Related to Is gravity repulsive at particle scales?

1. How does gravity work at the particle scale?

At the particle scale, gravity is explained by the theory of quantum mechanics, which states that particles interact with each other through the exchange of virtual particles called gravitons. The more massive a particle is, the more gravitons it will exchange and the stronger its gravitational pull will be.

2. Is gravity weaker at the particle scale compared to larger scales?

Yes, gravity is significantly weaker at the particle scale compared to larger scales. This is because the exchange of gravitons between particles is much less intense than the gravitational force between larger objects like planets or stars.

3. Can gravity be unified with the other fundamental forces at the particle scale?

Currently, there is no complete theory that successfully unifies gravity with the other fundamental forces at the particle scale. This is known as the problem of quantum gravity and is an active area of research in theoretical physics.

4. How does the Higgs boson relate to gravity at the particle scale?

The Higgs boson is a particle that is responsible for giving other particles their mass. It is believed that the Higgs field also interacts with the gravitational field, affecting the strength of gravity at the particle scale.

5. Can gravity be measured at the particle scale?

Yes, gravity can be measured at the particle scale through experiments such as the Large Hadron Collider, which can observe the effects of gravity on particles. However, the measurements are very small and require highly sensitive equipment.

Back