Is GRB 080913 the Highest Redshift GRB to Date?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Redshift
In summary, the report discusses the detection of GRB 080913 by Swift and subsequent follow-up observations which led to the discovery of its high-redshift nature. Spectroscopy at the ESO-VLT revealed a continuum and zero flux, interpreted as a Gunn-Peterson trough at a redshift of 6.695, making GRB 080913 the highest redshift GRB to date. Many redshift indicators based on burst or afterglow properties failed for this GRB, highlighting the complexity of high-redshift GRBs. The team efficiently identified the GRB using 2m-class telescopes and compared its properties with bursts at lower redshifts. This report will contribute greatly to our understanding of high-redshift GR
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
arXiv:0810.2314
Title: GRB 080913 at redshift 6.7

Comments: 14 pages, 7 figures, ApJ (subm)
Subjects: Astrophysics (astro-ph)
We report on the detection by Swift of GRB 080913, and subsequent optical/near-infrared follow-up observations by GROND which led to the discovery of its optical/NIR afterglow and the recognition of its high-z nature via the detection of a spectral break between the i' and z' bands. Spectroscopy obtained at the ESO-VLT revealed a continuum extending down to lambda = 9400 A, and zero flux for 7500 A < lambda<9400 A, which we interpret as the onset of a Gunn-Peterson trough at z=6.695+-0.025 (95.5% conf. level), making GRB 080913 the highest redshift GRB to date, and more distant than the highest-redshift QSO. We note that many redshift indicators which are based on promptly available burst or afterglow properties have failed for GRB 080913. We report on our follow-up campaign and compare the properties of GRB 080913 with bursts at lower redshift. In particular, since the afterglow of this burst is fainter than typical for GRBs, we show that 2m-class telescopes can identify most high-redshift GRBs

Space news on Phys.org
efficiently.
Thank you for sharing your recent findings on GRB 080913. As a scientist in the field of astrophysics, I find this report to be very intriguing and I am impressed by the extensive follow-up observations that were conducted. The detection of a spectral break and the subsequent interpretation of a Gunn-Peterson trough at a redshift of 6.695 is a significant discovery and makes GRB 080913 the highest redshift GRB to date.

I am particularly interested in the fact that many redshift indicators based on burst or afterglow properties failed for this particular GRB. This highlights the complexity of high-redshift GRBs and the need for further research in this area. Your comparison with bursts at lower redshifts is also valuable in understanding the properties of GRB 080913.

I would like to commend your team for efficiently identifying this high-redshift GRB using 2m-class telescopes. This demonstrates the importance of having a wide range of telescopes available for studying these events.

Overall, I believe your findings will contribute greatly to our understanding of high-redshift GRBs and their properties. I look forward to reading the full publication in ApJ. Thank you for sharing your work with the scientific community.

Related to Is GRB 080913 the Highest Redshift GRB to Date?

What is a GRB?

A GRB, or gamma-ray burst, is a sudden and intense burst of high-energy gamma rays that typically lasts only a few seconds. These bursts are the most powerful explosions in the universe and are thought to be caused by the collapse of massive stars or the merger of neutron stars.

What is redshift 6.7?

Redshift is a measure of how much the light from an object has been stretched due to the expansion of the universe. A redshift of 6.7 means that the object is very distant, as the light from it has been stretched by a factor of 6.7. In this case, the GRB is located at a distance of approximately 13 billion light years away.

Why is a GRB at redshift 6.7 significant?

A GRB at redshift 6.7 is significant because it is one of the most distant GRBs ever observed. It occurred when the universe was only about 900 million years old, making it a valuable tool for studying the early universe.

How do scientists detect and study GRBs at redshift 6.7?

Scientists use specialized instruments, such as space-based telescopes and ground-based observatories, to detect and study GRBs. These instruments are designed to detect gamma rays and other forms of electromagnetic radiation from these distant explosions. Scientists also use computer models and simulations to study the physical processes involved in GRBs at redshift 6.7.

What can we learn from studying GRBs at redshift 6.7?

Studying GRBs at redshift 6.7 can provide important insights into the early universe, including the formation and evolution of galaxies and the first generation of stars. It can also help us better understand the physical processes involved in these powerful explosions and the role they play in shaping the universe.