Is induction just a lazy alternative to real proofs?

In summary: I suppose its more vexing for trivial examples, and i also can suppose that induction can be powerful for much more complex proofs.Yes, we do prove that the formula works, but we do not see why. Induction is a perfectly valid technique, but sometimes it is more efficient to use a real proof. What are you looking for with the "why something works"? Sometimes an induction proof will answer the question of why a statement is true.
hypermonkey2
It seems to me that sometimes mathematical induction can be a lazy alternative to a real proof. I am bothered by the fact that induction does not tell you why something works, nor can it help in the actual derivation of formulae. Am i right in throwing it away so quickly? It just seems inelegant.

Bobo

Physics news on Phys.org
hypermonkey2 said:
It seems to me that sometimes mathematical induction can be a lazy alternative to a real proof.

Induction is a perfectly valid technique.

hypermonkey2 said:
I am bothered by the fact that induction does not tell you why something works, nor can it help in the actual derivation of formulae.

What are you looking for with the "why something works"? To me an induction proof (or any other proof) will answer the question of why a statement is true.

hypermonkey2 said:
Am i right in throwing it away so quickly? It just seems inelegant.

Elegant is a subjective term, but there are many elegant induction proofs in my opinion. There are countless examples, but the first pretty one that comes to mind is proving that all integers have a prime factorization. You can also prove there are infinitely many primes in an induction type of proof, this version will also lead to crude bounds on the nth prime.

I could go on for pages about the pretty uses of induction. I suspect you've mostly been subjected to simple statements like formulas for the sum of the first n integers, which could also be proven directly. Look around, it's not hard to find less simplistic uses.

You bring a valid argument with the inductive proof of the interminable list of primes. I suppose i am vexed by inductive proofs say, the following:

Prove by induction that N^3 - N is always a multiple of 6 for N>2. \

The inductive proof of this is a bit laborious and inefficient. Yes, we do prove that the formula works, but we do not see why. The proof of this that I much prefer is the following.

N^3-N= N(N-1)(N+1)

we see that it is just the product of 3 consecutive numbers no? it suddenly makes more sense that it must be divisible by 6.(since 1 in 3 numbers are divisible by 3, and 1 in 2 are even).

I suppose its more vexing for trivial examples, and i also can suppose that induction can be powerful for much more complex proofs.

hypermonkey2 said:
Yes, we do prove that the formula works, but we do not see why.

Sure we do. In the course of the induction proof you'll see going from N^3-N to (N+1)^3-(N+1) involves adding 3N^2+3N, which is always divisible by 6 by an even/odd argument. So the induction tells you that any two numbers in the sequence 1^3-1, 2^3-2, 3^3-3, ... differ by a multiple of 6. Hence if one of them (your "base case") is divisible by 6 they all are. What more do you want for an answer to "why"?

The demand to answer this via induction is for pedagogical reasons. It's to give you another example of where you can apply induction and gives you practive applying it to a 'trivial' example to prepare you for more complicated uses. Also, it never hurts to have more than one way of proving a statement, the alternates may supply different insights (as in the bounds on the nth prime)

If you want more non-trivial examples, any graphy theory text will be filled with them. You might see induction on the number of edges a graph has, the number of vertices, it's girth, or other parameters that you might not have expected. Sometimes it will be possible to convert to a non-inductive proof, but sometimes induction will be the slickist approach (slick being subjective of course).

Related to Is induction just a lazy alternative to real proofs?

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove statements about natural numbers. It involves two steps: the base case, where the statement is proven true for the first natural number (usually 0 or 1), and the inductive step, where the statement is proven true for all subsequent natural numbers by assuming it is true for a specific natural number and then showing it is also true for the next natural number.

2. How is mathematical induction different from other proof techniques?

Mathematical induction is different from other proof techniques because it relies on a strong assumption (the inductive hypothesis) and uses it to establish a chain of reasoning that leads to the conclusion. It is particularly useful for proving statements about infinite sets, such as natural numbers, as it allows for a concise and elegant proof.

3. Can mathematical induction be used to prove any statement?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that are true for all natural numbers. It cannot be used for statements that are only true for a finite number of natural numbers or for statements involving other mathematical objects, such as real numbers or matrices.

4. What are some common mistakes when using mathematical induction?

Some common mistakes when using mathematical induction include not properly establishing the base case, assuming the inductive hypothesis is true for all natural numbers instead of just a specific one, and using circular reasoning by assuming the statement is true in the inductive step without proving it first. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the proof and not make any assumptions or logical errors.

5. Can mathematical induction be used to prove inequalities?

Yes, mathematical induction can be used to prove inequalities involving natural numbers. However, the inductive step may require additional manipulations or algebraic techniques to establish the inequality for the next natural number. It is important to carefully consider the inductive hypothesis and how it relates to the inequality being proved.