Is industrial engineering similar to computer science?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's decision to switch from studying biotechnology technician to computer systems technician: software support, with a potential interest in pursuing software development. They also mention considering industrial engineering but facing obstacles due to lacking prerequisites in high school. The speaker asks for clarification on the difference between computer science and engineering, to which the response is that they are usually not very similar in terms of curriculum. They also mention that while they may have some overlapping classes, the two fields start to diverge in later years.
xod_s
I'm switching my community college choice soon form bitoechnology technician (which I've grown disillusioned with) to computer systems technician: software support which might hopefully lead me to the computer systems technician: software development.Something that occurred to me is how even though the programs relation to natural sciences is like nominal or superficial is if it's like industrial engineering.I would have gone into industrial engineering but heavily due to stuff relating to lacking prerequitsites in high school I couldn't.I mean I've heard of stuff on this forum of people going into industrial engineering sometime during mechanical along with ussually seeing the two programs under the same like course outline at most of the universities I've looked up even though industrial engineering is mostly about (from what I know) mathematical analysis of the processes and their results but not very much about say all the machinery that is used in the process.Sorry if that last sentance isn't well worded but d you still catch my idea?.Is there a general diff btw computer sci and engineering I'm not considering?.Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the curriculum I guess, but usually they aren't very similar at all.

Yea I agree,

Industrial engineering would consist of less computer based classes and my physical engineering kind of classes.

At my uni they are under the same degree outline but have almost completely different streams.

There are a few overlapping classes such as math, physics and computing units, but in the later years they start to deviate away from each other.

Related to Is industrial engineering similar to computer science?

1. Is industrial engineering a branch of computer science?

No, industrial engineering is not a branch of computer science. Although both fields involve problem-solving and use of technology, they have distinct focuses. Industrial engineering focuses on optimizing systems and processes in various industries, while computer science focuses on the design and development of computer systems and software.

2. What are the main similarities between industrial engineering and computer science?

Both industrial engineering and computer science use mathematical and analytical skills to solve problems and improve processes. They also both involve working with technology to improve efficiency and productivity.

3. Can someone with a degree in industrial engineering work in the computer science field?

Yes, someone with a degree in industrial engineering can work in the computer science field. Many skills learned in industrial engineering, such as data analysis and process optimization, are applicable to computer science roles. However, additional training and knowledge in computer science may be necessary.

4. Is it possible to combine industrial engineering and computer science in a career?

Yes, it is possible to combine industrial engineering and computer science in a career. This can be done through roles that involve optimizing systems and processes using computer technology, such as data analytics or supply chain management.

5. Which field has better job prospects, industrial engineering or computer science?

Both industrial engineering and computer science have strong job prospects, and it ultimately depends on individual interests and skills. Industrial engineering has a focus on improving efficiency and productivity in various industries, while computer science has a focus on developing technology and software. It is important to research and consider which field aligns better with your career goals and interests.