Is It Appropriate to Confront a Professor About Wasting Lecture Time?

In summary: Even if it is a course that is not OP's major, it would be worth bringing up to the department chair on your own. I suggest you talk to the department chairman about this. It would probably help if you could get a few other students in his class(es) who agree with you to go with you. Also, make some quick notes during class (or immediately afterwards) including timings so you have something specific to present. Set up an appointment to talk with him in person about it; don't do it just via a group e-mail.
Dembadon
Gold Member
I have a professor who typically spends, on average, about a third of each lecture pontificating about his personal life or university politics. I respect his knowledge and he's overall a very helpful educator, but I get very irritated when I think about how much we're not covering during his soapbox sessions.

I've thought about mentioning it during office hours, but I'm not sure how to bring something like this up without offending him. Do I need to just suck-it-up and deal with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on a lot of things to be honest, if I were paying for education and would have to stand lectures like these I would immediately put him in his place if I didn't like the teacher or explain in a contructive-criticism-manner to remind himself what he's at school for. At any rate, do not just deal with it, if you don't like something, you can leave the class or speak up.

lendav_rott said:
Depends on a lot of things to be honest, if I were paying for education and would have to stand lectures like these I would immediately put him in his place if I didn't like the teacher or explain in a contructive-criticism-manner to remind himself what he's at school for. At any rate, do not just deal with it, if you don't like something, you can leave the class or speak up.

I usually do speak up, but this would be the first time I've had to do it with a professor, and I'm a little concerned about burning any unnecessary bridges as I approach the final year of my degree.

First get your facts nailed down: specific dates, and measured timings. If it's one long rant, that is easier to measure than comments tagged onto every sentence, of course. You might even go as far as a hidden audio recorder.

Personally, I would probably prefer to take this to somebody else rather than challenge the lecturer directly with it.

The other way, if you are smart enough, is "mockery" in asking questions, etc - e.g. waste 10 minutes asking a convoluted question about something in one of the irrelevant digressions, mixed in with bits of your own life story ... :devil:

I suggest you talk to the department chairman about this. It would probably help if you could get a few other students in his class(es) who agree with you to go with you. Also, make some quick notes during class (or immediately afterwards) including timings so you have something specific to present. Set up an appointment to talk with him in person about it; don't do it just via a group e-mail.

An occasional few minutes of chitchat and off-topic ramblings is one thing. A third of the period, regularly, is something else.

Dembadon said:
I have a professor who typically spends, on average, about a third of each lecture pontificating about his personal life or university politics. I respect his knowledge and he's overall a very helpful educator, ...
May I ask what class this professor is teaching? I have a different take on this "problem" as I would expect getting an education could include his pontifications.

Sometimes it can be entertaining. I can remember a math course in analysis, where the lecturer (who looked old enough to have been taught calculus by Newton) had an absolute and utter hatred of applied math, and an even greater hatred of mathematical economics. Five minutes of political incorrectness on those subjects was often the best part of the lecture. And understanding exactly what was wrong with some of the "proofs" attributed to his sworn enemies could be educational, as well.

But 1/3 of a lecture of personal ramblings is something else.

If you are going to strike the king, kill the king.

The OP never gave much description about the course taught by his windy professor or about the professor himself. Does the prof have tenure? Was this a key course in the OP's field, or was it some elective?

IMO, at the university level, there's no guarantee that a professor is obligated to lecture on point X% of the time, which is why TAs and graduate students often do the heavy lifting in the actual teaching duties. However, if you think your final grade in the course can be helped by having the prof. give you the stink eye, go for it and make a report.

This is a long shot, but is the class doing exceptionally well? Maybe if everyone is beyond the professor's expectations, he feels he has time to meander.

But, I suspect this is not the case - he's probably just being nostalgic. I had a prof once who would do this, not 1/3 of the class but close. Whenever his name would come up in a group of current or former students, their would be a chorus: "When I was as MIT...", which is how be began all his "good old days" stories.

He was a good guy, but yeah, it got old.

One option you have is to simply ask course-specific questions if this professor goes off on a tangent. It is possible the guy doesn't even realize he's doing it.

If he's not covering stuff then ask him questions about it *before* he starts rambling, and at the end of the lecture. Then, go out the door and down the corridor discussing it, and arrange to meet him outside the lecture to discuss it some more.

That way you will comes across as keen, and he might be encouraged to keep on topic! If you complain directly, you might upset him, and you don't want to upset professors. You can irritate them by asking lots of *on topic* questions, when they would rather talk politics, but they can't complain about that kind of irritation! One side of them is likely to admire it, and you'll be remembered as that "really keen" chap, rather than a "nasty piece of work" in the political discussions in the staff room.

Thank you for your input everyone. I spoke with the department chair about it. Hopefully things'll change.

FAQ: Is It Appropriate to Confront a Professor About Wasting Lecture Time?

1. Why is the professor wasting lecture time?

There could be many reasons why a professor may be perceived as wasting lecture time. It could be due to technical difficulties, unpreparedness, or trying to engage students in active learning. It's important to communicate with the professor to understand the reasoning behind their actions.

2. How does the professor's wasting of lecture time affect student learning?

If the professor is truly wasting time during lectures, it can have a negative impact on student learning. Valuable time that could be used for learning new material or reviewing important concepts is being lost. This can also lead to confusion and frustration for students.

3. Is there anything that can be done to prevent the professor from wasting lecture time?

If you feel that the professor is consistently wasting lecture time, you can speak to them directly or bring it up to the department chair or academic advisor. It's important to provide specific examples and suggest potential solutions to address the issue.

4. How can students make the most out of lecture time if the professor is wasting it?

If you find yourself in a situation where the professor is wasting lecture time, try to engage in active learning by asking questions, participating in discussions, or taking notes. You can also use the extra time to review material or work on assignments.

5. Is it appropriate to confront the professor about wasting lecture time?

It's important to approach the situation respectfully and with a genuine desire to understand the reasoning behind the professor's actions. If you feel that the issue is impacting your learning, it is appropriate to bring it up to the professor or someone in a position of authority. However, it's important to do so in a professional manner.