Is It Legal for Companies to Use Machines for Telemarketing Calls?

• Thread starter Dr Lots-o'watts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machines
In summary: My phone just rang. It was a pre-recorded message from a company I won't name just now, asking me to fill out a satisfaction survey.Is this legal? If machines are allowed to call people, then why don't every company program in the entire phone book and advertise this way, and we could just spend our days answering calls from machines. As far as I know, calling machines are illegal. However, I believe the term "calling machine" literally refers to the auto-dialers that will call every single number, 000-0001, 000-0002, 000-0003, etc. I imagine your pre-recorded message was from a company you've done business with
Dr Lots-o'watts
Are "calling machines" legal?

My phone just rang. It was a pre-recorded message from a company I won't name just now, asking me to fill out a satisfaction survey.

Is this legal? If machines are allowed to call people, then why don't every company program in the entire phone book and advertise this way, and we could just spend our days answering calls from machines.

Physics news on Phys.org

As far as I know, calling machines are illegal. However, I believe the term "calling machine" literally refers to the auto-dialers that will call every single number, 000-0001, 000-0002, 000-0003, etc.

I imagine your pre-recorded message was from a company you've done business with and they have your information?

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
My phone just rang. It was a pre-recorded message from a company I won't name just now, asking me to fill out a satisfaction survey.

Is this legal? If machines are allowed to call people, then why don't every company program in the entire phone book and advertise this way, and we could just spend our days answering calls from machines.

Those "surveys" are often a way to get you into scam, e.g. to get your data or to see if you're gullible.

If they don't fake their phone number, you can look up their 800 number here (http://800notes.com/" ) to see what others know about them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, well, for now, with my new cell phone I have not functioned voice mail because I'm tired of all that stuff.

For some perhaps voice mail is very important.
For me, I will still know the caller number, but they can't leave a message.
Great for me!
If I care to hear what they want to say, I call them back!

Pengwuino said:
I imagine your pre-recorded message was from a company you've done business with and they have your information?

Yes, it was for a survey about the service they gave me. It was decent service, but being called by a machine is downright insulting. I called their 1-800 number right away and gave the rep a speech. The call was supposedly recorded, and I hope whoever made the decision to use machines to call people hears the recording.

I urge everyone to file a complaint if ever called by a pre-recoded message. How arrogant it is to have a machine call potential customers.

Related to Is It Legal for Companies to Use Machines for Telemarketing Calls?

What are calling machines?

Calling machines are devices that are designed to automatically dial and call phone numbers. They can be used for a variety of purposes, such as telemarketing, political campaigns, and surveys.

Are calling machines legal?

The legality of calling machines depends on the specific laws and regulations of the country or region in which they are being used. In some places, there may be restrictions on their use, such as requiring prior consent from the person being called. It is important to research and comply with all applicable laws before using a calling machine.

What are the potential benefits of using calling machines?

Calling machines can be used to efficiently reach a large number of people in a short amount of time. They can also be programmed to automatically record responses and gather data, making them useful for market research and surveys.

What are the potential drawbacks of using calling machines?

One potential drawback of using calling machines is that they can be seen as intrusive or annoying by those receiving the calls. In some cases, they may also violate privacy laws if proper consent is not obtained. Additionally, relying solely on calling machines for communication can limit personal interactions and miss potential nuances in communication.

How can the negative effects of calling machines be minimized?

To minimize negative effects, it is important to follow all laws and regulations regarding their use and to use them ethically and responsibly. This may include obtaining consent from individuals before calling them and providing an option to opt-out or be removed from future calls. It is also important to balance the use of calling machines with other forms of communication to maintain personal connections and avoid over-reliance on technology.