Is it maximum voltage or RMS voltage

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem involving phasors and got an answer of 62.5. However, they are not sure if the values of V and I given are the rms values or the maximum value. They also found that the formula for average power in the AC domain is P=[VxI]cos(angle).
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2018-1-19_12-44-30.png

Homework Equations

I drew phasors and got the answer. Angle between V and I is 60 degrees. Cosine of 60 is 0.5. Then I multiplied V and I and divided it by 2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got answer 62.5. But I'm not sure if values of V and I given are rms values or maximum value.
Isn't formula for Power as: Vrms * I rms cos(angle)
So shouldn't it be: 25/1.414 * 5/1.414 * cos(angle)?

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-19_12-44-30.png
    upload_2018-1-19_12-44-30.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,752
Physics news on Phys.org
The book that I have (Power System Analysis by Charles A. Gross) write phasors using the rms value, i.e. the phasor ##V= \frac{V_{max}}{\sqrt{2}} \angle \phi##

Likes scottdave and jaus tail
Hi.
It is a convention to express the value of the voltage or current phasor as the RMS magnitude of it. Much like the passive sign convention, this is widely known and acknowledged in electronics, unless stated otherwise.

That is, if:
[tex] V_{m} \cos ( \omega t + \alpha)
= \Re({V_{m} \cdot e^{j( \omega t + \alpha) } }) = \Re( {V_{m} \cdot e^{j (\omega t) } \cdot e^{j (\alpha )} } ) \underbrace{ \rightarrow }_{\text{Phasor domain/ transform} } \frac{ V_{m} }{ \sqrt{ 2 } } \angle{\alpha} [/tex]
The above is, of course, if you are using the cosine definition of a phasor, you can also use a sine definition in which case the signal would have to be phase shifted to the right by 90 (add - 90 ) to your cosine. The relation between peak and RMS for sinusoids is a result of the evaluation of the integral and using the definition of an RMS signal, the proof can be found online but the main concept is that the RMS value allows comparision with DC signals, as far as resistive elements are concerned.

Formula for average power in the AC domain is:
[tex] \frac{1}{2} \cdot V_{m} I_{m} \cos { ( \alpha_{v} - \alpha_{i} } ) [/tex]
Where:
[tex] V_{m} I_{m} [/tex]
Refer to peak values.
When using RMS, V and I become respective values and the equation is :
[tex] V_{rms} I_{rms} \cos { ( \alpha_{v} - \alpha_{i} } ) [/tex]
Your answer is correct as far as I know.
If you use peak values, you multiply by a half, and if you use rms, you get the same answer as the square root of two is present in both I and V rms.
Thanks for reading.
KM

Last edited:
Likes jaus tail
In my opinion, the voltage and current are rms.

However, when you calculate the apparent power you have to use the conjugate current.

Likes jaus tail
Okay. So if values are given in form V angle (45o) then V is the RMS value.
But if it's given like V sin (wt + 45) then V is maximum value. Right?

Likes K Murty
The result it is S[apparent power-VA]=P[active power-W]62.5+jQ[reactive power-VAR]108.25
In order to achieve this you have to multiply Vے α=V.cos(α),V.sin(α) by Iے β conjugate = Iے -β
I.cos(β),-I.sin(β).

Likes jaus tail
I'm not sure.
From what I know:
draw V
draw I
and P is V times I times cosine of angle between them
Q is V times I times sine of angle between them
V = 25 angle 15
I = 5 angle -45
So this is
upload_2018-1-21_11-21-16.png

So P is V times I times cos 60... no sin term
Q is V times I times sin 60

I didnt understand this:
Vے α=V.cos(α),V.sin(α) by Iے β conjugate = Iے -β
I.cos(β),-I.sin(β).

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-21_11-21-16.png
    upload_2018-1-21_11-21-16.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 683
Likes K Murty
Since ,conventional, inductive reactive power has to be positive [and capacitive negative], if the current lags 15+45=60 degrees[ then the angle it is -60 degrees] then:
P=V.I.cos(+60) Q=V.I.sin(+60)
See –for instance:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_conjugate
upload_2018-1-21_8-48-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-21_8-48-3.png
    upload_2018-1-21_8-48-3.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 683
Likes jaus tail
That phasor clears up the I* part. I never understood what its purpose was. Thanks.

Related to Is it maximum voltage or RMS voltage

1. What is the difference between maximum voltage and RMS voltage?

Maximum voltage, also known as peak voltage, refers to the highest voltage reached in a circuit. RMS voltage, or root mean square voltage, is a mathematical calculation that represents the average voltage over time.

2. Which voltage is more important to consider in a circuit?

The importance of maximum voltage or RMS voltage depends on the application. In most cases, RMS voltage is used to determine the power and energy consumption of a circuit, while maximum voltage is important for determining the maximum stress on components in a circuit.

3. Is maximum voltage always higher than RMS voltage?

Yes, maximum voltage is always higher than RMS voltage. This is because RMS voltage takes into account the magnitude and duration of both positive and negative voltages, while maximum voltage only considers the highest positive or negative voltage.

4. How are maximum voltage and RMS voltage related?

Maximum voltage and RMS voltage are mathematically related through the peak factor, which is the ratio of maximum voltage to RMS voltage. The peak factor varies depending on the waveform of the voltage, but is always greater than or equal to 1.

5. When should I use maximum voltage instead of RMS voltage?

You should use maximum voltage when designing or troubleshooting circuits to ensure that components can handle the highest voltage that may be present. In contrast, RMS voltage is more useful for determining the overall power and energy consumption of a circuit.