Is it possible for a pion to decay into a proton and a photon?

• Thread starter Kenai
  • Start date
In summary: Isn't this process just pion photo-production "in reverse"? There should be lots of relevant literature about gamma-p interactions. They may invoke some "hadronization" for the pion and nucleon final states, in lieu of dealing with the glue.
Kenai
Hey guys,
I was wondering if this reactions is possible:

[tex]\pi^{+} + n \rightarrow p + \gamma[/tex]

(Assuming there is enough energy in the initial state to make the reaction go)

If not, what law is violated?

Lepton and baryon numbers are ok... also angular momentum, so I guess it's possible, but still... I can't figure out how to draw the feynman diagram, since there is a total of 5 quarks in the initial state ([tex] u,\bar{d}... d,d,u [/tex]) and there is just 3 in the final state (u,u,d and gamma).

At first, I was thinking in merging d and [tex]\bar{d}[/tex] into a photon , but just 1 photon would violate the momentum conservation law...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Kenai said:
I can't figure out how to draw the feynman diagram

I would attach gluon(s) to the quark lines, and have a quark radiate a photon.

daschaich said:
I would attach gluon(s) to the quark lines, and have a quark radiate a photon.

Ok, a gluon can be attached into [tex] d, \bar{d} [/tex]

But then I would have an excited system with:

[tex] d \bar{d} \rightarrow \it{g} [/tex]

Which is the problem, since I would already have the [tex] u u d [/tex] configuration necessary for the proton in the final state, and the gamma can come from radiation from a quark as you said.

I'm using now the W boson to interact with one of the down quarks producing an up quark, I guest that would be possible. What do you guys think?

i57yc5.png

All of your hadrons are bound states, and have tons of glue floating around inside them. I'm coming from a lattice QCD perspective, where we don't even bother drawing the gluons; we just use "quark-line diagrams" (and compute the path integral nonperturbatively...).

At any rate, two quick comments:

1) Your diagram basically has pi^+ converting into a W^+. This is going to be way off mass-shell, and also introduces two weak vertexes. I suspect it is negligible.

2) Isn't this process just pion photo-production "in reverse"? There should be lots of relevant literature about gamma-p interactions. They may invoke some "hadronization" for the pion and nucleon final states, in lieu of dealing with the glue.

daschaich said:
1) Your diagram basically has pi^+ converting into a W^+. This is going to be way off mass-shell, and also introduces two weak vertexes. I suspect it is negligible.

I would guess that the helicity problem with that is worse than the mass shell suppression.

Related to Is it possible for a pion to decay into a proton and a photon?

1. What is (pi+)(n)-> (p)(gamma)?

(pi+)(n)-> (p)(gamma) is a nuclear reaction in which a positively charged pion and a neutron collide, resulting in the production of a proton and a gamma ray.

2. What is the purpose of studying (pi+)(n)-> (p)(gamma)?

The purpose of studying (pi+)(n)-> (p)(gamma) is to understand the fundamental properties of nuclear interactions and to gain insights into the structure and behavior of subatomic particles.

3. How does (pi+)(n)-> (p)(gamma) occur?

(pi+)(n)-> (p)(gamma) occurs through the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding the nucleus of an atom together. The collision of the pion and the neutron results in the release of energy and the creation of a proton and a gamma ray.

4. What are the potential applications of (pi+)(n)-> (p)(gamma)?

One potential application of (pi+)(n)-> (p)(gamma) is in nuclear medicine, where it can be used to produce radioactive isotopes for medical imaging and cancer treatment. This reaction can also be used in nuclear power plants to generate energy.

5. How is (pi+)(n)-> (p)(gamma) studied in the laboratory?

In the laboratory, (pi+)(n)-> (p)(gamma) is studied using particle accelerators, which can accelerate particles to high energies and simulate the conditions of nuclear reactions. Scientists also use detectors to measure the particles and radiation produced in this reaction.

Back