Is it possible for the median to equal the stddev?

• Thread starter ktpr2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Median
In summary: But what about sets with non-integer values for x?I don't know if that would work, since I'm not sure what the definition of a median would be for a set with non-integer values for x.
ktpr2
Is it possible to have a set where the average is some number and the standard deviation from the average is equal to the median value of that same set? If so, could you show me such a set?

Physics news on Phys.org
ktpr2 said:
Is it possible to have a set where the average is some number and the standard deviation from the average is equal to the median value of that same set?

Yes.

If so, could you show me such a set?

I'll show you a trivial example and then give you a hint. But you have to try it for yourself.

The trivial example is the set {0}. Both the standard deviation and the median are zero.

Now if you want a more substantial example, just use the definitions of standard deviation and median:

σ2=Σ(xi-μ)/N
m=middle value (if N is odd) or average of 2 middle values (if N is even)

Let N be odd for simplicity. In fact, let N=3. That means that the median is x2. So all you have to do is set σ equal to x2 and choose some values for x1 and x2. Then use your equation to solve for x3.

well I'm not sure where the squared part of the summation bit went when you removed the sqaure root by squaring both sides, but...

with {64, 127, x3}, we have

127^2 = ( (64-μ)+(127-μ)+(x3-μ) ) / 3

μ = (64+127+x3)/3

Now as soon as I pick a number for μ I've inadvertedly picked my stddev. I can solve for μ but I have a feeling you didn't intend for me to do all that algebraic manipulation.

And of course if i pick whatever value I want for μ the std. dev and median do not equal another. So what am I doing wrong?

EDIT - as an aside, is it possible for the mean+stddev to equal the median?

Last edited:
okay

For [tex]\mu+\sigma = median[/tex]

Well I did some algebraic exploration of my own and I found sets like [tex]\{x, x+1,x+1\}[/tex] to work "good enough." I failed to mention that my values for x are [tex]0\geq x \geq255 [/tex] and [tex]x \in N [/tex] so I just round any reals i get in calculating

Related to Is it possible for the median to equal the stddev?

1. Is it possible for the median to equal the stddev?

Yes, it is possible for the median to equal the standard deviation (stddev). This occurs when the data is symmetrically distributed around the mean, with the median being equal to the mean. In this case, the standard deviation would also be equal to the median.

2. What is the relationship between the median and the stddev?

The median and the standard deviation are both measures of central tendency for a dataset. While the median represents the middle value of a dataset, the standard deviation measures the spread of the data around the mean. In some cases, the median and the stddev may be equal, indicating a symmetric distribution of the data.

3. Can the median and the stddev be equal for any type of data?

No, the median and the standard deviation can only be equal for symmetrically distributed data. If the data is skewed, with a longer tail on one side, the median and the stddev will not be equal. Similarly, if the data is multimodal (having multiple peaks), the median and the stddev will not be equal.

4. How can I determine if the median and the stddev are equal for a dataset?

To determine if the median and the standard deviation are equal for a dataset, you can calculate both values using a statistical software or by hand. If the values are equal, it indicates a symmetric distribution. You can also visually inspect a histogram of the dataset to see if it appears symmetrical.

5. Why is it important to know if the median and the stddev are equal?

Knowing if the median and the standard deviation are equal can provide insights into the distribution of the data. It can help identify if the data is symmetric or skewed, and can also inform the choice of appropriate statistical methods for analysis. In some cases, it may also indicate the presence of outliers in the dataset.