Is it possible ( term symbols )

In summary, it is possible to calculate the energy of a state from an atomic term symbol, but it depends on the state and may require a lot of effort and advanced computer programs. For light elements like hydrogen, helium, and lithium, it may be possible to estimate the state energy by hand, but for heavier elements, this is not possible without months of work. The accuracy of these estimates may not be sufficient to obtain the correct state ordering, as correlation calculations must be taken into account.
Livethefire
Is it possible to calculate the energy of a state from an atomic term symbol? Or are we only able to use the lande inteval rule to find spin orbit interaction splittings?

Physics news on Phys.org
In principle: yes, that is possible (with accuracy vs time tradeoffs).

In practice: Somewhat depends on the state. What you'd do is fire up your favorite multi-reference quantum chemistry program (Molpro or Molcas, most likely) and ask it to do a state-averaged MCSCF and MRCI+Q calculation of the states you are interested in, followed by a spin-orbit CI. It might take some effort, however, to convert the term symbols into state specifications these programs would understand (they are for molecules, after all), and high lying excited states might be difficult to lock onto or to converge

Also, if you're interested in heavy elements (say, Uranium or something) you might be better off with a 4-component program like DIRAC.

Wow that's a detailed answer, ha, I was expecting something a bit more elementary. I mean If I have a light element, hydrogen, helium or lithium for example.

And a term symbol like doublet S (1/2), is it posible by hand to figure out the energy? As opposed to estimations by computers? I mean, in this cause we would know S= 1/2, L=0, but no information of n. So by a bohr/schrodinger approach, I can't see any way to calculate the state energy.

Livethefire said:
Wow that's a detailed answer, ha, I was expecting something a bit more elementary. I mean If I have a light element, hydrogen, helium or lithium for example.

And a term symbol like doublet S (1/2), is it posible by hand to figure out the energy? As opposed to estimations by computers? .

For H: probably yes
For He: a good estimate might be possible. But not without months of work.
For Li and up: definitely no

The problem is that in order to obtain the state energy, the many-body Schroedinger equation must be solved in an at least approximate way. For more than four electrons[1], this can in practice only be done by some self-consistent field approximations, followed up by correlation calculations (in the latter the interaction between the electrons is directly taken into account). While it may be possible to get an estimate of the state energy without actually solving the Schroedinger equation, the accuracy of such estimates may not be sufficient to, say, obtain the correct state ordering, because for obtaining this in some elemets correlation must be taken into account.

[1] For two--four there are some cheats, but they can also not be done without a computer.

Related to Is it possible ( term symbols )

1. Is it possible to determine the term symbols for a given atom or molecule?

Yes, it is possible to determine the term symbols for a given atom or molecule using spectroscopic techniques. These techniques involve measuring the energy levels and transitions of the atom or molecule and using that information to determine the term symbols.

2. Can the term symbols of an atom or molecule change?

Yes, the term symbols of an atom or molecule can change if the energy levels or electronic configuration of the atom or molecule changes. This can occur due to external factors such as an applied magnetic field or internal factors such as electron-electron interactions.

3. How are term symbols represented?

Term symbols are typically represented using a letter followed by a subscript number. The letter represents the total orbital angular momentum while the subscript number represents the total spin angular momentum. For example, the term symbol for an atom with total orbital angular momentum L=1 and total spin angular momentum S=1/2 would be represented as ^2P1/2.

4. What do term symbols tell us about an atom or molecule?

Term symbols provide information about the electronic configuration and energy levels of an atom or molecule. They can also give insight into the magnetic properties of the atom or molecule.

5. Are term symbols only applicable to atoms and molecules?

No, term symbols can also be used to describe the energy levels and electronic configurations of other systems, such as diatomic molecules, ions, and multi-electron atoms. However, they are not applicable to larger systems such as solids or liquids.