Is it possible to become a space engineer in the U.S. without citizenship?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of pursuing a degree in aerospace/aeronautical engineering and whether it would lead to job opportunities, particularly at NASA. The participants discuss the seriousness of the program and the possibility of working at NASA as an immigrant. They also mention the requirements for certain jobs at NASA and share examples of individuals who were not born in the U.S. but still worked for the agency. The conversation ends with one participant expressing confusion and another wishing the OP luck in their endeavors. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexities of pursuing a career in the aerospace industry.
Okki2
Is it a serious education?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okki2 said:
Is it a serious education?

You mean like interior decorating? :-p

I understand that aerospace / aeronautical engineering is pretty intense, but you may want to elaborate on your question a little.

Is this a serious question?

What would you like to know??

like can you get work with that?

There is a larger industry than you think. Also that is a subjective question, depends on how good of one you are =]

aerospaceut10 said:
Is this a serious question?

http://www.yorku.ca/web/futurestudents/programs/template.asp?id=392

"York is the only university in Canada offering this program!"

Last edited by a moderator:
https://portal.student.ltu.se/uppex/public/viewUtbplan.htm?locale=sv&id=58018&lasar=0910

here are the courses its in swedish but the terms are international.

Okki2 said:
like can you get work with that?

Depends...where would you like to work?

i don't really care as long i get to build spaceships and stuff like that...

but seriously satellies maybe a rover? doesn't matter where.

How old are you? Just curious.
I'm assuming you'd want to work for NASA or its contractors?

aerospaceut10 said:
How old are you? Just curious.

I'm assuming you'd want to work for NASA or its contractors?

18 i actually just want to get the degree and not work. just study something else.

I'm very confused about what you actually want to do with your life, but good luck with it.

Can you actually work at NASA as an immigrant? Thought I read somewhere you have to be born in the USA.

srvs said:
Can you actually work at NASA as an immigrant? Thought I read somewhere you have to be born in the USA.

I think the only US Government job to which that applies is the head job: President of the US (conspiracy theories about the current president aside). As an example, Werner von Braun wasn't born in the US. Neither is a friend of a friend who worked for United Space Alliance (primary contractor to NASA).

This thread (and the OP's responses / questions) is rather confusing. But as another poster says, good luck with that...

thats rubbish i know lots of Iranians that work for NASA and they were born in Iran. luckily i was born in USA but i was raised in sweden.

MATLABdude said:
I think the only US Government job to which that applies is the head job: President of the US (conspiracy theories about the current president aside). As an example, Werner von Braun wasn't born in the US. Neither is a friend of a friend who worked for United Space Alliance (primary contractor to NASA).

This thread (and the OP's responses / questions) is rather confusing. But as another poster says, good luck with that...

Hah, well von Braun is a very unique case as he's essentially a human tool that struck a deal with the U.S. in a rather covert operation.

For most normal circumstances, unless you're a genius/technology leader of your field, I wouldn't count on immediate access to most of the security clearance jobs in the U.S if you don't at least have a U.S. citizenship

Related to Is it possible to become a space engineer in the U.S. without citizenship?

What is a space engineer?

A space engineer is a professional who designs, builds, and maintains spacecrafts, satellites, and other space-related technologies.

What does a space engineer do?

A space engineer is responsible for designing and developing new spacecrafts, conducting research and experiments to improve existing technologies, and ensuring the proper functioning of space equipment.

What skills are required to become a space engineer?

To become a space engineer, one must have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and engineering. Excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as attention to detail, are also essential.

Is space engineering a growing field?

Yes, space engineering is a rapidly growing field, especially with the advancements in space exploration and commercial space activities. There is a high demand for skilled space engineers in various industries, including government agencies, private companies, and research institutions.

What are the potential drawbacks of being a space engineer?

Becoming a space engineer requires a significant amount of education and training, as well as a high level of dedication and attention to detail. The job also involves working in high-stress and high-pressure environments, and there can be risks involved in space missions. Additionally, the field is highly competitive, and job opportunities may be limited.