Is it possible to get an engineering job with a criminal record?

In summary, the individual is facing limited job prospects in their field of economics due to a past felony conviction for possession with intent to sell marijuana. They are considering staying in school and pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering, but are concerned about job opportunities in that field as well. They are seeking input and advice from others, particularly from professional or charitable organizations.
dieselweasel
Hello,

2 years ago I was convicted of possession w/ intent to sell marijuana (a felony in my state). I'm about to graduate college with an economics degree, but my job prospects are seriously limited as most of the jobs in that field are finance and banking related, and having a criminal record makes it nearly impossible to get those.

Therefore I'm considering staying in school, and if I did so I would be looking at going for mechanical engineering. I would be putting in 100% effort so I'm confident I would be able to do well in it. However I don't want to waste my time and money if I still won't be able to get a job.

If anybody has any input, it would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dont mechanical engineers do some defense contractor work?

If there are any professional and/or charitable organizations in your country that can give you advice, I suggest that would be the best place to ask.

Related to Is it possible to get an engineering job with a criminal record?

1. Can I still get an engineering job if I have a criminal record?

Yes, it is possible to get an engineering job with a criminal record. However, the type and severity of the offense may affect your chances and eligibility for certain positions.

2. Will my criminal record show up on a background check for an engineering job?

It is likely that your criminal record will show up on a background check for an engineering job. Many employers conduct thorough background checks as part of their hiring process.

3. How will my criminal record affect my chances of getting hired as an engineer?

This will depend on the specific company and position you are applying for, as well as the nature of your offense. Some companies may have strict policies against hiring individuals with certain types of criminal records, while others may be more lenient.

4. Can I still get licensed as an engineer with a criminal record?

Generally, having a criminal record should not prevent you from obtaining a license as an engineer. However, you may be required to disclose your record and provide additional documentation or information during the application process.

5. What can I do to improve my chances of getting an engineering job with a criminal record?

Being honest and upfront about your criminal record is important. You can also highlight any relevant skills and experience you have, and emphasize your commitment to personal and professional growth. Networking and getting recommendations from previous employers or colleagues may also help improve your chances.