Is it possible to get just one photon from just one atom?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of measuring a single isolated atom and a single photon. It is mentioned that there are single photon detectors available and a Google search yields information on a single-photon source. The person also mentions finding an article on the "one atom laser" and their upcoming move to a location with more resources for research.
thankz
when I say one atom, I mean literally just one atom isolated and if so how would you measure it?

Physics news on Phys.org
measure what? The number of photon? the photon's energy? something else?

just measure that one single photon had been emitted. :wink:

I'm not quite familiar with this but I guess there have been a number of single photon detectors available out there.

unfortunately it's a pay for article, I found the answer in physics of atoms and molecules (2nd ed) pg 944, the one atom laser, they used barium in an atomic beam oven. I still don't know if it's just temperature or magnetic resonance if have a lot of learning to do but I have to do it in order so this isn't that much of a priority right now it just seemed interesting thanks for the article.

Since we don't know where you are, it is difficult to provide any kind of recommendation on how to get such an article. Please note that most major public libraries in the US, and practically most college campuses will have on-site access to these journals.

Zz.

I'm in Cambridge, md. there isn't a uni close and I don't think the local library um :rolleyes:, well let's just say I'm stuck in a backwards town right now. will be moving to Fairfax, va in 10 months so hopefully they'll be more resources.

thankz said:
I'm in Cambridge, md. there isn't a uni close and I don't think the local library um :rolleyes:, well let's just say I'm stuck in a backwards town right now. will be moving to Fairfax, va in 10 months so hopefully they'll be more resources.
You might try inter-library loan.

will do, thanks.

Related to Is it possible to get just one photon from just one atom?

1. Can we really get just one photon from just one atom?

Yes, it is possible to get just one photon from just one atom. This phenomenon is known as spontaneous emission, where an excited atom emits a single photon as it returns to a lower energy state.

2. How is it possible to isolate just one atom to observe this phenomenon?

Scientists use techniques such as laser cooling and trapping to isolate and control individual atoms. This allows for precise observation and manipulation of the atom's emission of a single photon.

3. What are the practical applications of studying single photons and atoms?

Studying single photons and atoms can help us understand the fundamental properties of light and matter, and can also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.

4. Is it possible to manipulate or control the emission of a single photon from an atom?

Yes, scientists have developed techniques such as quantum control and cavity quantum electrodynamics that allow for precise control and manipulation of the emission of a single photon from an atom.

5. How does the emission of a single photon from an atom differ from the emission of multiple photons?

The emission of a single photon from an atom is a discrete and quantized process, while the emission of multiple photons is a continuous and non-quantized process. This difference is due to the quantum nature of light and matter at the atomic level.