Is it possible to import a FE Assembly to SIMPACK?

In summary: It is also possible to use SIMPACK's API to directly link the assembly from ABAQUS to SIMPACK.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of importing an assembly from ABAQUS into the Multi Body Software SIMPACK. The speaker mentions that they have successfully modeled an assembly in ABAQUS with various constraints and features for their FE analysis. They now want to import this model into SIMPACK as a flexible body, but run into an error message when attempting to do so. They inquire about the possibility of importing assemblies into SIMPACK and are informed that it is not currently supported. The suggested solutions include exporting individual parts as CAD files or using a third-party software to extract parts from a STEP file. It is also mentioned
Schneller
In ABAQUS, I have modeled a assembly containing two parts with lot of constraints and other engineering features which are very crucial to my FE analysis. The job ran successfully and I have got satisfactory results. As a next step, I would like to import this model into the Multi Body Software SIMPACK as a flexible body. This would require the introduction of substructuring concepts and I referred to SIMPACK tutorials for exact way of doing it. My question is, can we import an assembly into SIMPACK. Because the tutorials explain only a part being impoted into SIMPACK. SO when I follow the same procedure given in the tutorials to my model, ABAQUS gives me an error message saying SUBSTRUCTURE GENERATE cannot be used for assemblies. It seems it can only be used for parts. So how do I go about this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A:SIMPACK does not currently support the import of assemblies in ABAQUS. You will need to export the individual parts as individual CAD files and then import them into SIMPACK. Alternatively, you can export the assembly as a STEP file and then use a third-party software to extract the individual parts from the STEP file and then import them into SIMPACK.

Related to Is it possible to import a FE Assembly to SIMPACK?

1. Is it possible to import a FE Assembly to SIMPACK?

Yes, it is possible to import a Finite Element (FE) Assembly to SIMPACK. SIMPACK is a multi-body simulation software that allows for the dynamic analysis of mechanical systems. It has the capability to import FE models from various FE software such as ANSYS, Abaqus, and Nastran.

2. What is the benefit of importing a FE Assembly to SIMPACK?

The benefit of importing a FE Assembly to SIMPACK is that it allows for a more detailed and accurate analysis of mechanical systems. FE models can provide a more realistic representation of the behavior of the system, and SIMPACK can then simulate the dynamic interactions between different components of the system.

3. Are there any limitations to importing a FE Assembly to SIMPACK?

Yes, there may be some limitations to importing a FE Assembly to SIMPACK. The compatibility of the FE model with SIMPACK may depend on the type of elements used, the mesh density, and the complexity of the model. It is recommended to consult the SIMPACK documentation for specific limitations and guidelines.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy of the imported FE Assembly in SIMPACK?

To ensure the accuracy of the imported FE Assembly in SIMPACK, it is important to check the compatibility of the FE model with SIMPACK. Additionally, it is recommended to perform a validation study by comparing the results from the FE model with those from SIMPACK for a simple test case. This can help identify any discrepancies and make necessary adjustments to the FE model.

5. Can I modify the imported FE Assembly in SIMPACK?

Yes, you can modify the imported FE Assembly in SIMPACK. SIMPACK has a graphical user interface that allows for easy manipulation of FE models. You can modify the geometry, properties, and connections between components of the FE model within SIMPACK to better represent the actual system being analyzed.