Is It Possible to Remove Mass from Matter While Retaining Its Form?

• B
  • Thread starter Quantum Velocity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Matter
In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of mass and matter, specifically the relationship between the two. It is mentioned that not everything has mass, with an example of a photon being given. It is also stated that removing mass from matter would render it no longer matter. The conversation then shifts to the possibility of turning matter into photons and the idea of conservation of energy. The concept of matter and antimatter turning into photons through annihilation is also mentioned, with the caveat that it would result in the destruction of the host.
Quantum Velocity
i know that every thing has mass (dont know why if you can pleas explain it for me too)
so can i remove mass from matter but still have it form

Physics news on Phys.org
Not everything has mass. A photon, for example, does not have mass.

If you removed the mass from matter then it wouldn't be matter any more. Having mass is part of the usual definition of matter.

Likes QuantumQuest, anorlunda and bhobba
so can i turn a matter into photon

Quantum Velocity said:
so can i turn a matter into photon
You can turn matter and antimatter into a pair of photons.

how

Quantum Velocity said:
how

Let them interact.

Einstein showed mass is a form of energy. Its energy that is conserved - not mass so you can convert on to the other.

Thanks
Bill

Quantum Velocity said:
how
Just get them close to each other.

Not without killing the host :)

FAQ: Is It Possible to Remove Mass from Matter While Retaining Its Form?

1. Can matter be removed from an object?

Yes, matter can be removed from an object through various physical and chemical processes. For example, heating a solid object can cause it to melt and turn into a liquid, effectively removing some of its mass.

2. Is it possible to remove mass from an object without changing its properties?

No, any removal of mass from an object will result in a change in its properties. This is because mass is a fundamental property of matter and any change in mass will affect the overall structure and composition of the object.

3. Can mass be destroyed or created?

No, according to the law of conservation of mass, mass cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total mass of a closed system will remain constant regardless of any physical or chemical changes that occur within it.

4. Can removing mass from matter change its state?

Yes, removing mass from matter can change its state. This is because the state of matter is determined by the arrangement and movement of particles, and any change in mass can affect these factors. For example, removing mass from a solid can cause it to change into a liquid or gas.

5. What are the implications of removing mass from matter?

The implications of removing mass from matter depend on the specific context and process involved. In general, it can result in changes in the physical and chemical properties of the matter, alter its state, and impact its overall structure and composition. This can have significant consequences in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.