Is it Possible to Slow Down Beta Decay in Cobalt 60?

• Thread starter whitay
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of slowing down beta decay in cobalt 60 by cooling it. However, it is stated that radioactivity is not influenced by temperature as it is governed by weak interaction, which is different from heat and molecular vibrations. The concept of temperature and absolute zero is also brought up in relation to beta decay. The discussion also mentions that successful attempts to vary decay rates through physico-chemical influence are scarce and that it is a plausible experiment, but unlikely to yield significant results. The idea of considering quantum mechanics and hidden variables in relation to temperature is also mentioned.
whitay
Hi,

I'm wondering if it is possible to slow down beta decay in cobalt 60 by cooling it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. Radioactivity isn't a thermal effect, nor is it influenced by temperature.

Zz.

I thought everything was slowed by cooler temperature. Theoretically, would beta decay still occur at Absolute Zero?

I'm now confused as to why my physics teacher said it was a plausible experiment.

LURCH said:
I thought everything was slowed by cooler temperature. Theoretically, would beta decay still occur at Absolute Zero?

But beta decay is governed by WEAK INTERACTION. Heat/temperature is more of molecular vibrations mediated by EM interaction. These two are completely different mechanism.

If it is influenced by temperature, then the half life of everything must be tabulated with the corresponding temperature. You don't see this in CRC Handbook.

Zz.

The bibliography in successful attempts to vary decay rates via physico-chemical influence is scarce. I thing the greatest resported variation is about 10%, and I can not remmber what substance was involved.

So yes, it is a plausible experiment, as double beta decay is: unlikely, but measurable, and interesting if you get positive results.

LURCH said:
Theoretically, would beta decay still occur at Absolute Zero?
Hmm if quantum mechanics were a theory of hidden variables, then we could consider these variables as contributing to temperature. It is more of a redefinition of the concept of Temperature (and Absolute Zero), isn't it?

FAQ: Is it Possible to Slow Down Beta Decay in Cobalt 60?

1. Can beta decay in Cobalt 60 be slowed down?

Yes, it is possible to slow down beta decay in Cobalt 60 through a process called isomer shift. This involves changing the energy levels of the Cobalt 60 nuclei to a lower state, which decreases the probability of beta decay occurring.

2. Why would we want to slow down beta decay in Cobalt 60?

Slowing down beta decay in Cobalt 60 can increase its useful lifespan. This is important because Cobalt 60 is commonly used in medical treatments and industrial applications, and slowing down its decay can make it more cost-effective and efficient.

3. How is beta decay slowed down in Cobalt 60?

Beta decay in Cobalt 60 can be slowed down through isomer shift, as mentioned before. This is achieved by exposing the Cobalt 60 nuclei to specific types of radiation or by using a device called a synchrotron to create a magnetic field that alters the energy levels of the nuclei.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with slowing down beta decay in Cobalt 60?

There are no known risks associated with slowing down beta decay in Cobalt 60. The process of isomer shift does not change the chemical properties of the element, and the resulting isotope is still safe to use in medical and industrial applications.

5. Can beta decay in Cobalt 60 be completely stopped?

No, beta decay in Cobalt 60 cannot be completely stopped. The process of isomer shift can only slow it down, not stop it entirely. However, by slowing down the decay, the useful lifespan of Cobalt 60 can be significantly extended.