Is it possible to solve this differential equation?

In summary, the system is nonlinear, so it may not be possible to solve it analytically. You may have to resort to numerical methods.
Donghyun Kim
Hello. I'm solving the second order nonlinear ODE, and I'm not sure that it's possible or not.

Please help.

A_0, B_0, C_0, a, b, c, e, p is all known constant.

dA/dt = -(a+b*C)*B
dB/dt = -p*c*A
dC/dt = -(1-p)*e*A

then I want to get a solution like A(t) = function of (A_0, B_0, C_0, a, b, c, e, p)
Can it be possible?

please help :(.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find C in terms of A and B from the first equation and then put it in the third equation. This gives you an equation involving only A and B. Then you can write one of them in terms of the other and put it in the second equation. Now you have an ordinary differential equation involving only one unknown function.

Donghyun Kim said:
Hello. I'm solving the second order nonlinear ODE, and I'm not sure that it's possible or not.

Please help.

A_0, B_0, C_0, a, b, c, e, p is all known constant.

dA/dt = -(a+b*C)*B
dB/dt = -p*c*A
dC/dt = -(1-p)*e*A

then I want to get a solution like A(t) = function of (A_0, B_0, C_0, a, b, c, e, p)
Can it be possible?

please help :(.

If [itex]pc = 0[/itex] then [itex]B[/itex] is constant, and the system for [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]C[/itex] is then linear, so in principle you can solve it analytically. Similarly if [itex]e(1 -p) = 0[/itex] then [itex]C[/itex] is constant, and the system for [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] is then linear, so again in principle you can solve it analytically.

Aside from those cases, the system is non-linear, so probably cannot be solved analytically and you may have to rely on numerical methods. The quantity [itex]X = e(1-p)B - pcC[/itex] is conserved so the trajectory is confined to a plane of constant [itex]X[/itex]. Thus you can eliminate [itex]C[/itex] and consider the second-order system [tex]
\dot A = -\left(a + \frac{b}{pc}(e(1-p)B - X)\right)B \\
\dot B = -pcA.[/tex]

EDIT: We have [itex]\ddot B = -pc\dot A = (pca + b(e(1-p)B - X)B[/itex] which is a function of [itex]B[/itex]; therefore one can multiply both sides by [itex]\dot B[/itex] to obtain [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left( \tfrac12 (\dot B)^2 - \tfrac13 be(1-p)B^3 + \tfrac12 bXB^2 - pcaB \right) = 0[/tex] which you can then integrate easily to obtain an equation for [itex]\dot B[/itex] in terms of [itex]B[/itex] (be careful with the choice of sign when taking the root). Unfortunately you probably can't then solve analytically for [itex]B[/itex], but if you could you would then have [tex]
A(t) = A_0 - \int_0^t \left(a + \frac{b}{pc}(e(1-p)B(s) - X)\right)B(s)\,dt[/tex] but you probably can't do that integral analytically even if you knew [itex]B[/itex].

Last edited:

Related to Is it possible to solve this differential equation?

1. Can every differential equation be solved analytically?

Unfortunately, not all differential equations can be solved analytically. Some equations are too complex and have no known solution in terms of elementary functions.

2. What are the different methods for solving differential equations?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, integration factors, and series solutions. The choice of method depends on the type of differential equation and its complexity.

3. Is it possible to solve a differential equation numerically?

Yes, some differential equations can be solved numerically using numerical methods such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta method, and finite difference method. These methods approximate the solution to the equation by dividing it into smaller steps.

4. How do boundary conditions affect the solution of a differential equation?

Boundary conditions are important in solving differential equations as they help determine the specific solution that satisfies the equation. Without boundary conditions, the solution may have multiple possible forms.

5. Can software or computers solve differential equations?

Yes, there are many software programs and computer algorithms that can solve differential equations numerically. These tools are often used in scientific and engineering fields to solve complex equations that cannot be solved analytically.