Is It Possible to Solve This Diffusion Equation via Separation of Variables?

In summary, the student is trying to solve a diffusion problem using separation of variables, but is having difficulty because the function U is not erf. They are able to find W using Laplace transforms and determine U by taking the inverse Laplace transform.
Remixex

Homework Statement

$$\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=\nu \frac{\partial^{2} U}{\partial y^{2}}$$
$$U(0,t)=U_0 \quad for \quad t>0$$
$$U(y,0)=0 \quad for \quad y>0$$
$$U(y,t) \rightarrow {0} \quad \forall t \quad and \quad y \rightarrow \infty$$

Homework Equations

This is a diffusion problem on fluid mechanics, but it's more of a math problem so i posted it here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to solve this via separation of variables (the textbook uses a "similarity" method I've never seen before, and concludes the function U must be erf) is it even possible to reach an analytic result via SV?
The first boundary condition is what gets me, I tried
$$U_{0} e^{{k^{2}t}} e^{{-\frac{k}{\sqrt{\nu}}y}}$$
But it clearly doesn't work for any boundary condition except the last.
I don't think sinusoidal is the answer here either because it must eventually converge to zero, for every t.
Is there really no analytic answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your separation of variables and the resulting differential equations.

Remixex said:

Homework Statement

$$\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=\nu \frac{\partial^{2} U}{\partial y^{2}}$$
$$U(0,t)=U_0 \quad for \quad t>0$$
$$U(y,0)=0 \quad for \quad y>0$$
$$U(y,t) \rightarrow {0} \quad \forall t \quad and \quad y \rightarrow \infty$$

Homework Equations

This is a diffusion problem on fluid mechanics, but it's more of a math problem so i posted it here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to solve this via separation of variables (the textbook uses a "similarity" method I've never seen before, and concludes the function U must be erf) is it even possible to reach an analytic result via SV?
The first boundary condition is what gets me, I tried
$$U_{0} e^{{k^{2}t}} e^{{-\frac{k}{\sqrt{\nu}}y}}$$
But it clearly doesn't work for any boundary condition except the last.
I don't think sinusoidal is the answer here either because it must eventually converge to zero, for every t.
Is there really no analytic answer?

Use Laplace transforms with respect to ##t##. Let
$$W(y,s) = \int_0^{\infty} e^{-st} U(y,t) \, dt $$
be the Laplace transform. Then, using standard properties of Laplace transforms, we get the DE
$$\nu W_{yy}(y,s) = s W(y,s) - U(y,0) = s W(y,s),$$
where ##W_{yy} = \partial^2 W / \partial y^2##.
Also: ##U(0,t) = U_0## implies that
$$W(0,s) = \frac{U_0}{s} $$
Finally, the initial value theorem requires that ##\lim_{s \to \infty} s W(y,s) = 0## for ##y > 0##.

These are enough to determine ##W(y,s)##. Then it is just a matter of taking the inverse Laplace transform of ##W(y,s)## to get ##U(y,t)##.

Separation of variables will never work in this example, simply because it leads to the wrong kind of function.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Separation of variables will never work in this example, simply because it leads to the wrong kind of function.
THANK YOU :D

Related to Is It Possible to Solve This Diffusion Equation via Separation of Variables?

1. What is the "Very evil diffusion equation"?

The "Very evil diffusion equation" is a mathematical model used to describe the process of diffusion, which is the movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. It is called "very evil" because it is a more complex and challenging version of the regular diffusion equation.

2. How is the "Very evil diffusion equation" different from the regular diffusion equation?

The "Very evil diffusion equation" includes additional terms and variables, making it a more accurate and realistic representation of diffusion in certain situations. It takes into account factors such as particle size, shape, and interactions between particles, which are not considered in the regular diffusion equation.

3. What are some real-world applications of the "Very evil diffusion equation"?

The "Very evil diffusion equation" can be applied in various fields such as chemistry, physics, biology, and engineering. It is used to study diffusion processes in materials, biological systems, and environmental systems. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as drug delivery systems and air pollution control devices.

4. How is the "Very evil diffusion equation" solved?

The "Very evil diffusion equation" is a partial differential equation, which means it requires advanced mathematical techniques to solve. It can be solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods, or analytical methods, such as separation of variables or Green's function method.

5. What are the limitations of the "Very evil diffusion equation"?

Although the "Very evil diffusion equation" is a more comprehensive and accurate model, it still has limitations. It assumes that diffusion is a continuous process and does not take into account random fluctuations or external forces that may affect the diffusion process. It also requires a large amount of data and complex calculations, making it challenging to apply in certain situations.