Is It Possible to Solve This Vector Problem with Given Information?

• Thread starter Bymp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, Magnitude of F2 is 5kN, Angle of F3 is 0 degrees to the y-axis, Magnitude of the Resultant force is 3kN.
Bymp
I just had a test Friday and I spent 30 minutes on this so-called "Easy" problem. The resultant force is "-2J + 5K" and there are 3 forces that compose this resultant force.

The Magnitude of F2 is 5kN
The Magnitude of F1 is 3kN
F1 has a angle of "0" to the Y axis

The 3 forces are all acting on a 3D vector plane, but no vector has a value for "I". So none are moving in the x direction.

Given the image below (Forgive the crude drawing):
Find:
The Magnitude of F3
The Angle that F3 is acting apon
And the Magnitude of the Resultant force.

Can this be done given the information in my drawing? I didn't leave anything off, this is what we were given and I even asked my instructor if we were missing information. I couldn't solve this one, and many in my class had problem just as I did. This is a second year college level course.

If you can help me out, thanks, I really would love any help I could get.

vectors.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bymp said:
The Magnitude of F2 is 5kN
No angle given?
The Magnitude of F1 is 3kN
F1 has a angle of "0" to the X axis
I presume you mean 0 degrees to the y-axis.

Actually I didn't understand that part either, what he place on the test looked like a letter "O" for the angle, so it confused me. I persumed that I could solve the angle there by using the formula:

Cos Angle = (A *dot* B) / [(Magnitude of A) * (Magnitude of B)]

I believe that's a common vector reference. I believe I typed that correctly

I fixed that as well, the angle was 0 degrees to the x- axis, thank you

Bymp said:
Actually I didn't understand that part either, what he place on the test looked like a letter "O" for the angle, so it confused me. I persumed that I could solve the angle there by using the formula:

Cos Angle = (A *dot* B) / [(Magnitude of A) * (Magnitude of B)]
I don't understand. Are you given the scalar product of A and B? (Sure, if you're given the magnitude of two vectors and their dot product, you can get the angle between them. But are you given that information?)

Was the direction of F2 specified or just its magnitude?

Oh, true, I was mistaken, your right. I apoligize.

All information supplied in the image and the first post should be 100% correct now.

What is supplied what what was supplied.

I'm just trying to think of ways I could have solved this. He claimed this was an "Easy" problem requiring only 10 minutes of work at the most.

But you are right, we can't use that because we are not given the scalar product of the two.

I just can't find any way to solve for the wanted values =\

Sept the magnitude of the resultant force... that's the only way I could solve for.

Sure looks like insufficient information to me.

Thanks =) Just glad someone agrees with me, thank you very much, my mind is at better rest now

FAQ: Is It Possible to Solve This Vector Problem with Given Information?

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is often represented by an arrow in a coordinate system.

2. How do you solve a vector question?

To solve a vector question, you need to first determine the given values for the magnitude and direction of the vector. Then, you can use mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication to find the resulting vector.

3. Can all vector questions be solved?

Yes, all vector questions can be solved using mathematical operations and principles. However, some vector questions may require advanced mathematical techniques or tools.

4. Are there different types of vectors?

Yes, there are different types of vectors such as displacement vectors, velocity vectors, and force vectors. Each type of vector has its own specific properties and can be solved in different ways.

5. What are some real-world applications of vector questions?

Vectors are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. Some real-world applications of vector questions include calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the forces acting on a structure, and creating computer graphics and animations.

Back