Is It Possible to Use the Method of Undetermined Coefficients Here?

In summary: But for some reason you then go on to say that this is a problem because it has no cosine term. But of course it doesn't have a cosine term because B = 2, not 0.In summary, the conversation discusses solving a practice problem involving an ODE with a cosine function. The person finds a solution but believes it should have a sine term in it. They consider using the method of undetermined coefficients but are unsure if it is applicable. They then work through the problem and find a solution, but there is confusion over the presence of a cosine term.
checkmatechamp
I'm doing a practice problem I found online, and I get a solution, but I think it should have a sine term in it. I looked up the solution, and most sites say to use variation of parameters, but is it possible to use the method of undetermined coefficients?

The problem is as follows: y'' + 4y = 8cos2t

r^2 + 4 = 0 ----> r^2 = -4 -----> r = +/- 2i

yh = c1*sin2t + c2*cos2t

Particular solution has form At*sin2t + Bt*cos2t (because you add a "t" to both terms so they don't clash with the cos2t or sin2t terms)

First derivative is -2At*sin2t + A*cos2t + 2Bt*cos2t + B*sin2t

Second derivative is -4At*cos2t - 2A*sin2t - 2A*sin2t - 4Bt*sin2t + 2B*cos2t + 2B*cos2t

So then you add that term to the particular solution and get:

-4At*cos2t - 2A*sin2t - 2A*sin2t - 4Bt*sin2t + 2B*cos2t + 2B*cos2t + 4At*sin2t + 4Bt*cos2t

Canceling out terms leaves you with -2A*sin2t - 2A*sin2t + 2B*cos2t + 2B*cos2t = 8*cos2t.

Now the problem is that 8*cos2t is really 8*cos2t + 0*sin2t. Solving for B gives you B = 2, but that means A = 0. But the final solution should have a sine term in it. (And I looked up the solutions, and they do have a sine term)

I thought you could use the Method of Undetermined Coefficients when you were dealing with a sine/cosine function, a regular polynomial, or an exponential function. (I think the fourth one was a function of e^t. I forget off the top of my head.)

Physics news on Phys.org
checkmatechamp said:
I'm doing a practice problem I found online, and I get a solution, but I think it should have a sine term in it. I looked up the solution, and most sites say to use variation of parameters, but is it possible to use the method of undetermined coefficients?

The problem is as follows: y'' + 4y = 8cos2t

r^2 + 4 = 0 ----> r^2 = -4 -----> r = +/- 2i

yh = c1*sin2t + c2*cos2t

Particular solution has form At*sin2t + Bt*cos2t (because you add a "t" to both terms so they don't clash with the cos2t or sin2t terms)

First derivative is -2At*sin2t + A*cos2t + 2Bt*cos2t + B*sin2t

You are inconsistent in your definitions of [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex]. You start by defining
[tex]
y(t) = At\sin(2t) + Bt\cos(2t)
[/tex] but in computing the derivatives you somehow switched to [tex]
y(t) = At\cos(2t) + Bt\sin(2t).[/tex]
Thus when you substituted these into the ODE you obtained
[y'' + 4y =] -4At*cos2t - 2A*sin2t - 2A*sin2t - 4Bt*sin2t + 2B*cos2t + 2B*cos2t + 4At*sin2t + 4Bt*cos2t
where you failed to notice that the terms I've bolded don't actually cancel.

But continuing on, you find that [itex]B = 2[/itex]. Because you flipped the definitions of [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] halfway through, this is actually telling you that [itex]y(t) = 2t\sin(2t)[/itex], which is correct.

Last edited:

Related to Is It Possible to Use the Method of Undetermined Coefficients Here?

1. What is the Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

The Method of Undetermined Coefficients is a technique used in solving differential equations. It involves guessing a particular solution based on the form of the non-homogeneous term in the equation.

2. When can the Method of Undetermined Coefficients be used?

The Method of Undetermined Coefficients can be used when the non-homogeneous term in the differential equation is a polynomial, exponential, sine, cosine, or a combination of these functions.

3. How does the Method of Undetermined Coefficients work?

The Method of Undetermined Coefficients works by guessing a particular solution in the form of a linear combination of functions that are similar to the non-homogeneous term. The coefficients of these functions are then determined by substituting the solution into the original equation and solving for the coefficients.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Method of Undetermined Coefficients. It cannot be used if the non-homogeneous term is a polynomial of degree greater than the order of the differential equation or if the term is a repeated root of the characteristic equation.

5. Can the Method of Undetermined Coefficients be used for all types of differential equations?

No, the Method of Undetermined Coefficients can only be used for linear, constant coefficient differential equations with non-homogeneous terms. It cannot be used for non-linear or variable coefficient equations.