Is it the Electrons that we actually see when looking at matter?

TribalHouse
If the nuclei are so small and they don't emit photons, aren't we just beholding the symphony of electrons?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, because without nuclei, you would just get a gas of electrons.

Also, what you wrote is not correct. Nuclei can emit or absorb photons (basically what is used in MRI). And electrons by themselves cannot absorb or emit photons, it is the dipole created by the nucleus and the electrons that is mainly interacting with the electromagnetic waves.

Likes Astronuc, DaveE, TribalHouse and 1 other person
DrClaude said:
No, because without nuclei, you would just get a gas of electrons.

Also, what you wrote is not correct. Nuclei can emit or absorb photons (basically what is used in MRI). And electrons by themselves cannot absorb or emit photons, it is the dipole created by the nucleus and the electrons that is mainly interacting with the electromagnetic waves.
So (usually) it is the proton and neutron (or just nuclei as a whole?) who emit photons - stimulated by the movement of the electron when the electron changes orbits.

And how does the nuclei absorb foreign travelling photons? Also I guess the 'electron emits photons' is an outdated allegorical explanatory.

My other question is, why are photons called electromagnetic waves when they of course are not magnetic. As they say that nothing can deflect light, barely heavy black stars. Was it just the space fabric curvature through black holes which deflected light or as well as a potentially ultrasmall magnetism present in the photons.

TribalHouse said:
aren't we just beholding the symphony of electrons?
This is poetry. Poetry is a good thing - I have many books of the stuff - but will not help you understand physics.

TribalHouse said:
why are photons called electromagnetic waves when they of course are not magnetic.
They surely are.

We can't "explain" things that are untrue.

Likes Astronuc
Vanadium 50 said:
This is poetry. Poetry is a good thing - I have many books of the stuff - but will not help you understand physics.

They surely are.

We can't "explain" things that are untrue.
Can you explain why light does not magnetically react to the ferrite and electromagnets.

Same reason it doesn't react to electric fields and ferroelectric materials.

I don't like this gave:
You: false statement
MeL That's not true.
You: Prove it!
Repeat.

You have questions, ask them. You want to post a parade of incorrect statements, find someone else to play with.

TribalHouse said:
Can you explain why light does not magnetically react to the ferrite and electromagnets.
Classical electromagnetism involves two things: charged particles and electromagnetic fields. The electron is charged particle and light is a self-sustaining wave of oscillating electric and magnetic fields.

Charged particles create electromagnetic fields, which influence how other charged particles move.

Attraction and repulsion apply to the interaction of a charged particle and the electromagnetic fields. This is generally governed by the Lorentz force law. E.g. the way two electrons repel each other; or, the way an electron moves in a magnetic field.

Electromagnetic fields do not interact with each other. Although they obey the principle of superposition. Light, therefore, does not interact with a magnetic field.

The theory of the atom, however, is not covered by classical electromagnetism. It requires QM (quantum mechanics) to explain the emission and absorption spectra of atoms and molecules. Nevertheless, light emitted by an atom does not interact with an electromagnetic field.

If you want to learn more about the quantum theory of light you could try "The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" by Richard Feynman.

Likes Astronuc, TribalHouse and berkeman
Thanks for the complete explanation.
I realize that we think and observe the world in a high level, rather illusionary perception and the world of particles seems mindblowing, with puzzles the like of old Resident Evil games. Something that crossed my mind today; the elements could become translucent or invisible if the nucleus is stabilized by using certain multitudes of quarks and specific arrangements thus making them stable from emiting and absorbing any electromagnetic waves. Like those UFOs in movies which appear suddenly.

• Skeptical
Likes Astronuc
TribalHouse said:
Like those UFOs in movies which appear suddenly.
Thread is done.

Likes Vanadium 50 and hutchphd