Is it too late to pursue a career in physics after a rocky start in college?

In summary, the conversation is about a person who has a passion for learning about the universe and wants to study physics. They had previously studied art but did not find it fulfilling and now want to pursue their true passion. However, their previous actions of not completing their physics courses and working in a different field for three years may affect their chances of getting into a good graduate school. They are seeking advice on how to pursue their passion and make contributions to the field of physics.
ccruxx
Hello,

I enjoy learning new things about the universe. I have always wanted to learn more about everything in the universe. Growing up I got into art and computers. I went to a local small university in my home town to study art. I was 3 semesters into it when I decided I wanted to study my true passion, or so I thought, physics. After 2 semesters studying physics I just stopped going to class and did not with draw. I received straight F's for every class I was taking. Before that I was making straight A's. I worked with Dell for three years. I am now 27 years old and trying to go back to school for physics. Just to get back into my local university I have to speak with a committee. What I want out of physics. I want to study cutting edge. I do not care about money. Is it to late? Did my previous actions ruin my chances of studying physics in the highest degree? Am I even going to be able to get into a good grad school with my previous background?

Physics news on Phys.org
I want to know what is out there and how it works. I want to do research on the fundamental principles of physics and make contributions to what is already known. What should I do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thank you for your time.

Related to Is it too late to pursue a career in physics after a rocky start in college?

1. How can I improve my understanding of physics in school?

There are several ways to improve your understanding of physics in school. First, make sure to attend all classes and actively participate in discussions. Additionally, you can form a study group with classmates to review material and practice problem-solving together. Utilizing online resources and textbooks can also provide additional explanations and practice problems to reinforce your understanding.

2. What courses should I take to prepare for a degree in physics?

To prepare for a degree in physics, it is recommended to take courses in mathematics, such as algebra, geometry, and calculus, as well as courses in science, including chemistry and biology. Taking advanced courses in these subjects can also be beneficial in developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are important in the field of physics.

3. How can I perform well in physics exams?

To perform well in physics exams, it is important to consistently review and practice solving problems throughout the semester. Make sure to understand the concepts and equations rather than just memorizing them. On the day of the exam, read all questions carefully, show all your work, and double-check your answers. If you are unsure about a question, move on and come back to it later.

4. What career options are available for physics majors?

There are many career options for physics majors, including research and development in fields such as astrophysics, biophysics, and engineering. Other options include working in industries such as telecommunications, healthcare, energy, and aerospace. Physics majors can also pursue careers in education, finance, and data analysis.

5. How can I stay motivated in my physics studies?

Physics can be a challenging subject, but staying motivated can help you succeed. Set achievable goals and celebrate your progress. Find ways to make the subject more interesting, such as watching educational videos or attending lectures and seminars. Surround yourself with peers and mentors who share your interest in physics, and remember to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.