Is L a Self-Adjoint Operator with Non-Negative Eigenvalues?

In summary: Homework Statement We have a linear differential operator ##Ly=-y^{''}## working on all ##y## that can be derived at least twice on ##[-\pi ,\pi ]## and also note that ##y(-\pi )=y(\pi )## and ##y^{'}(-\pi )=y^{'}(\pi )##.a) Is ##0## eigenvalue for ##L##?b) Is ##L## symmetric? (I think the right English expression would be self-adjoint)c) Find all positive eigenvalues and corresponding eigenfunctions. What is the dimension of eigenspace?d) Does ##L## have any negative eigenvalues?In summary, the given linear differential operator
brkomir

Homework Statement

We have a linear differential operator ##Ly=-y^{''}## working on all ##y## that can be derived at least twice on ##[-\pi ,\pi ]## and also note that ##y(-\pi )=y(\pi )## and ##y^{'}(-\pi )=y^{'}(\pi )##.
a) Is ##0## eigenvalue for ##L##?
b) Is ##L## symmetric? (I think the right English expression would be self-adjoint)
c) Find all positive eigenvalues and corresponding eigenfunctions. What is the dimension of eigenspace?
d) Does ##L## have any negative eigenvalues?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) No idea how to do this one. Here's my version:

##Ly=-y^{''}=\lambda y## which gives me ##y^{''}+\lambda y=0##. Solution of this differential equation is obviously ##y(x)=Acos(\sqrt{\lambda }x)+Bsin(\sqrt{\lambda }x)##

Using this we find out that the boundary conditions for ##A\neq 0 ## and ##B\neq 0## are fulfilled only when ##\lambda =0##. Therefore the answer to question a) is YES.

b)

##L## is symmetric if ##[PW(y,x)]\mid _a^b =0##. Note that originally the DE is ##P(z)y^{''}+Q(z)y^{'}+R(z)y=0## and where ##W## is Wronskian determinant.

Obviously ##P=-1##.

##[PW(y,x)]\mid _a^b =[-\begin{vmatrix}
y & z\\
y^{'} & z^{'}
\end{vmatrix}]\mid _a^b##

After short calculus and knowing that ##a=-\pi ## and ##b=\pi ## we find out that the equation above is equal to ##0## and therefore the linear operator ##L## is symmetric.

c)

##Ly=-y^{''}=\lambda^2 y## where I used notation ##\lambda ^2## for eigenvalue instead of ##\lambda ## just because I don't want to write square roots every time.

Anyhow, solution to this DE is ##y(x)=Acos(\lambda x)+Bsin(\lambda x)## using boundary conditions:

##y(\pi )-y(-\pi )=2Bsin(\lambda \pi )=0## and of course for non trivial solutions ##B\neq 0## than:

##\lambda =n## for ##n\in \mathbb{Z}^{+}## where i suspect these are all the positive eigenvalues.

And accordingly, I assume that ##y(x)=Acos(\lambda x)+Bsin(\lambda x)## are eigenfunctions where for each ##\lambda ## the dimension of the eigenspace increases by ##1##, therefore the dimension of eigenspace is ##n##.

(or do I have to consider ##\lambda =0## here too?)

d) Hmmm, if ##\lambda <0 ## than the differential equation ##y^{''}+\lambda y=0## changes to ##y^{''}-\lambda y=0##.

Now ##y## that solves the equation above is ##y(x)=Ae^{\sqrt{\lambda }x}+Be^{-\sqrt{\lambda }x}##.

Again, taking in mind that ##y(-\pi )=y(\pi )## leaves me with

##(B-A)(e^{-\sqrt{\lambda }x\pi }-e^{\sqrt{\lambda }x\pi })=0## which is only true if ##(B-A)=0##.

Therefore the answer is NO, ##L## does not have negative eigenvalues.

Physics news on Phys.org
brkomir said:

Homework Statement

We have a linear differential operator ##Ly=-y^{''}## working on all ##y## that can be derived at least twice on ##[-\pi ,\pi ]## and also note that ##y(-\pi )=y(\pi )## and ##y^{'}(-\pi )=y^{'}(\pi )##.
a) Is ##0## eigenvalue for ##L##?
b) Is ##L## symmetric? (I think the right English expression would be self-adjoint)
c) Find all positive eigenvalues and corresponding eigenfunctions. What is the dimension of eigenspace?
d) Does ##L## have any negative eigenvalues?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) No idea how to do this one. Here's my version:

##Ly=-y^{''}=\lambda y## which gives me ##y^{''}+\lambda y=0##. Solution of this differential equation is obviously ##y(x)=Acos(\sqrt{\lambda }x)+Bsin(\sqrt{\lambda }x)##

Using this we find out that the boundary conditions for ##A\neq 0 ## and ##B\neq 0## are fulfilled only when ##\lambda =0##. Therefore the answer to question a) is YES.

The correct observation is that setting [itex]\lambda = 0[/itex] gives you [itex]y(x) = A \cos 0 + B \sin 0 = A[/itex]. But why not just solve [tex]
Ly = -y'' = 0
[/tex] directly to get [itex]y(x) = Cx + D[/itex], where [itex]y(-\pi) = y(\pi)[/itex] requires [itex]C = 0[/itex] but [itex]D[/itex] can be anything?

b)

##L## is symmetric if ##[PW(y,x)]\mid _a^b =0##. Note that originally the DE is ##P(z)y^{''}+Q(z)y^{'}+R(z)y=0## and where ##W## is Wronskian determinant.

Obviously ##P=-1##.

##[PW(y,x)]\mid _a^b =[-\begin{vmatrix}
y & z\\
y^{'} & z^{'}
\end{vmatrix}]\mid _a^b##

After short calculus and knowing that ##a=-\pi ## and ##b=\pi ## we find out that the equation above is equal to ##0## and therefore the linear operator ##L## is symmetric.

[itex]L[/itex] is self-adjoint with respect to an inner product, presumably [itex]\langle f,g \rangle = \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(x)g(x)\,dx[/itex] if we're dealing only with real-valued twice-differentiable functions, if and only if [tex]
\langle Lf, g \rangle = \langle f, Lg \rangle
[/tex] for all relevant [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex]. So you need to show that for all twice-differentiable [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] which satisfy the boundary conditions, you have [tex]
\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} -f''(x) g(x) \,dx = \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} -f(x) g''(x) \,dx.[/tex]

c)

##Ly=-y^{''}=\lambda^2 y## where I used notation ##\lambda ^2## for eigenvalue instead of ##\lambda ## just because I don't want to write square roots every time.

Best then to set [itex]\lambda = k^2[/itex] for [itex]k > 0[/itex].

Anyhow, solution to this DE is ##y(x)=Acos(\lambda x)+Bsin(\lambda x)## using boundary conditions:

##y(\pi )-y(-\pi )=2Bsin(\lambda \pi )=0## and of course for non trivial solutions ##B\neq 0## than:

##\lambda =n## for ##n\in \mathbb{Z}^{+}## where i suspect these are all the positive eigenvalues.

And accordingly, I assume that ##y(x)=Acos(\lambda x)+Bsin(\lambda x)## are eigenfunctions where for each ##\lambda ## the dimension of the eigenspace increases by ##1##, therefore the dimension of eigenspace is ##n##.

The eigenvalue is now [itex]\lambda^2[/itex] rather than [itex]\lambda[/itex], so the eigenvalues are [itex]\lambda_n^2 = n^2 > 0[/itex] for [itex]n \in \mathbb{Z}^{+}[/itex].

Each eigenspace is two-dimensional: the linearly independent eigenfunctions corresponding to the eigenvalue [itex]n^2[/itex] are [itex]\cos nx[/itex] and [itex]\sin nx[/itex].

(or do I have to consider ##\lambda =0## here too?)

d) Hmmm, if ##\lambda <0 ## than the differential equation ##y^{''}+\lambda y=0## changes to ##y^{''}-\lambda y=0##.

If you want to do that, then you need to write [itex]y'' + \lambda y = y'' - |\lambda|y = 0[/itex]. It would be easier to define [itex]\lambda = -k^2[/itex] for [itex]k > 0[/itex].

Now ##y## that solves the equation above is ##y(x)=Ae^{\sqrt{\lambda }x}+Be^{-\sqrt{\lambda }x}##.

Again, taking in mind that ##y(-\pi )=y(\pi )## leaves me with

##(B-A)(e^{-\sqrt{\lambda }x\pi }-e^{\sqrt{\lambda }x\pi })=0## which is only true if ##(B-A)=0##.

Therefore the answer is NO, ##L## does not have negative eigenvalues.

So far you've only shown that you must have [itex]B = A[/itex]; you have yet to show that [itex]B = A = 0[/itex].

pasmith said:
The correct observation is that setting [itex]\lambda = 0[/itex] gives you [itex]y(x) = A \cos 0 + B \sin 0 = A[/itex]. But why not just solve [tex]
Ly = -y'' = 0
[/tex] directly to get [itex]y(x) = Cx + D[/itex], where [itex]y(-\pi) = y(\pi)[/itex] requires [itex]C = 0[/itex] but [itex]D[/itex] can be anything?

That is a lot easier, I agree. So the conclusion is that if ##\lambda =0## we can find a function that satisfies boundary conditions. In this case ##y=D## is a constant function, therefore ##\lambda ## can also be ##0##.

b) Is ##L## self-adjoint?

##<f,g>=\int _{-\pi }^{\pi }f(x)g(x)dx## for real functions.

##<Lf,g>=<f,Lg>##

##\int _{-\pi }^{\pi }-f^{''}gdx=\int _{-\pi }^{\pi }-fg^{''}dx##

##\int _{-\pi }^{\pi }(fg^{''}-f^{''}g)dx=0## That here is still a question. We are trying to prove that the LHS of the equation is 0.

##\int _{-\pi }^{\pi }(fg^{''}-f^{''}g)dx=\int _{-\pi }^{\pi }[(g^{'}f)^{'}-f^{'}g^{'}-(f^{'}g)^{'}+f^{'}g^{'}]dx=[g^{'}f-f^{'}g]\mid _{-\pi }^{\pi }##

##[g^{'}f-f^{'}g]\mid _{-\pi }^{\pi }=0## for given boundary conditions. Nice, so yes, ##L## is self-adjoint.

c)

pasmith said:
Best then to set [itex]\lambda = k^2[/itex] for [itex]k > 0[/itex].

Ok, I will do that.

pasmith said:
The eigenvalue is now [itex]\lambda^2[/itex] rather than [itex]\lambda[/itex], so the eigenvalues are [itex]\lambda_n^2 = n^2 > 0[/itex] for [itex]n \in \mathbb{Z}^{+}[/itex].

Each eigenspace is two-dimensional: the linearly independent eigenfunctions corresponding to the eigenvalue [itex]n^2[/itex] are [itex]\cos nx[/itex] and [itex]\sin nx[/itex].

So for ##n## eigenfunctions the eigenspace is ##2n## dimensional? I assume that is because ##sin## and ##cos## are already linearly independent, therefore for each ##\lambda \neq 0## I get two additional linearly independent functions.

But, is it really ##\lambda _n^2=n^2## ?? Because, if I am not mistaken for [itex]\lambda = k^2[/itex] for [itex]k > 0[/itex] I get

##2Bsin(k\pi )=0## therefore ##k=n## and if anything, than ##\lambda _n=k^2=n^2##. Or not?d)

pasmith said:
So far you've only shown that you must have [itex]B = A[/itex]; you have yet to show that [itex]B = A = 0[/itex].

The second part of course comes from second condition, which gives me ##(A+B)(e^{\sqrt{\lambda }\pi }-e^{-\sqrt{\lambda }\pi })=0##

Now we have both conditions saying that ##A=B## and ##A=-B## which is only possible if ##A=B=0##

Last edited:

Related to Is L a Self-Adjoint Operator with Non-Negative Eigenvalues?

1. What is a linear differential operator?

A linear differential operator is a mathematical function that operates on a differential equation, taking the derivatives of the dependent variable and possibly multiplying it by a function of the independent variable. It is used to simplify and solve differential equations in various fields of science and engineering.

2. How does a linear differential operator work?

A linear differential operator takes the derivatives of the dependent variable in a differential equation and multiplies it by a function of the independent variable. This process is repeated until the equation is simplified and can be solved. The operator follows certain rules, such as linearity and commutativity, to manipulate the equation.

3. What are some examples of linear differential operators?

Some common examples of linear differential operators include the derivative operator, which takes the first or higher order derivatives of a function, the Laplace operator, which takes the second derivatives, and the curl and divergence operators, which are used in vector calculus. These operators are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields of science.

4. What are the benefits of using a linear differential operator?

Linear differential operators are useful in solving differential equations, which are used to model and understand various phenomena in science and engineering. They allow for simplification and manipulation of equations, making it easier to find solutions and make predictions. They also have applications in areas such as signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics.

5. How are linear differential operators used in real-world applications?

Linear differential operators are used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as modeling the behavior of electrical circuits, predicting the motion of objects, and analyzing the flow of fluids. They are also used in image and signal processing, as well as in the design and analysis of control systems. In quantum mechanics, linear differential operators are used to describe the behavior of particles and their wave functions.