Is latex used so that your math is more readable?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter jaysquestions
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary: Putting expressions into properly arranged pure text, with grouping symbols arranged correctly to stop ambguity, is very helpful.
jaysquestions
Is Latex so that your math problems look readable, so they look like they are written in an actual textbook?
If this is what latex is for, how do I start learning latex? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Latex allows you to change e.g. x^2=1/2y into ##x^2=\frac{1}{2}y##

You can start learning it here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

If there's something you can find there, just type it in google together with 'latex' and you should be able to find the command, or in fact a whole set of guides.

Also, if you see a post with some equation that you'd like to know how to type in Latex, just quote the post and look at the quoted text to find the formatting used.

jaysquestions said:
Is Latex so that your math problems look readable, so they look like they are written in an actual textbook?
If this is what latex is for, how do I start learning latex? thanks

I tend to skip most posts which aren't written with LaTeX. Using LaTeX is a huge help to the people answering your thread.

Like micromass I sometimes skip posts that don't use LaTeX, especially ones that have complicated expressions involving radicals, fractions, or integrals.
Students are used to seeing fractions that are written in textbooks like this:
$$\frac{x^2 - 4}{x - 2}$$
and they think that they can write them as x^2 - 4 / x - 2

The problem is that, according to the precedence rules in mathematics, the above is the same as ##x^2 - \frac 4 x - 2##.

At the very least, they should have written (x^2 - 4) / (x - 2).

Mark44 said:
and they think that they can write them as x^2 - 4 / x - 2

God, I absolutely hate it when they do that. It's one of the most annoying things you can do in a thread.

Likes symbolipoint
micromass said:
God, I absolutely hate it when they do that. It's one of the most annoying things you can do in a thread.
I agree!

Other things that annoy me:
- I want to derive the function ##x^2 + 1##.
- The equation ##x^2 + 1## clearly has...
- My answer is written in the following image (usually followed by an image that is upside-down and with an unreadable handwriting; having to open the image is already extremely annoying)

micromass said:
I also agree.

In fact, sometimes, in the way of giving help, I will solve a problem exactly according to how the student has written it (or miswritten it). Other times, I will rewrite the expression or equation for the student and explain why.

micromass said:
I tend to skip most posts which aren't written with LaTeX. Using LaTeX is a huge help to the people answering your thread.
Outside of LaTeX or other typesetting assistance, putting expressions into properly arranged pure text, with grouping symbols arranged correctly to stop ambguity, is very helpful.

FAQ: Is latex used so that your math is more readable?

1. What is LaTeX and why is it used for math?

LaTeX is a document preparation system that is widely used in the scientific and academic community. It is specifically designed for typesetting technical and scientific documents, including mathematical equations. It is used for math because it provides a more efficient and consistent way of formatting complex equations and symbols.

2. Is LaTeX difficult to learn and use?

Learning LaTeX can be challenging at first, but it becomes easier with practice. It has a steep learning curve, but once you become familiar with the commands and syntax, it can save you a lot of time and effort in formatting your math equations.

3. Are there any alternatives to LaTeX for typesetting equations?

Yes, there are other software programs and tools that can be used for typesetting equations, such as Microsoft Word, MathType, and Wolfram Mathematica. However, LaTeX remains the preferred choice for many scientists and mathematicians due to its flexibility and advanced features.

4. Can LaTeX be used for non-mathematical documents?

Yes, LaTeX can be used for typesetting any type of document, including text-only documents. However, it is most commonly used for technical and scientific documents that involve a lot of equations, symbols, and formatting requirements.

5. Is LaTeX widely used in the scientific community?

Yes, LaTeX is widely used in the scientific community, particularly in mathematics, physics, computer science, and engineering. Many academic journals and conferences also require submissions to be in LaTeX format.