Is Life Common and Resilient in the Universe?

• Thread starter Gold Barz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary: I think it is more reasonable to explore the many ways in which life might form, and to be open to the possibility that it might be common in the universe." - Carl Sagan
Gold Barz
I think that once life starts, it will be very difficult to stop and I have been reading more and more about scientists claim life to be common in the universe, or atleast not as rare as they once thought it was.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Life is a wide world; can u define it?

Gold Barz said:
I think that once life starts, it will be very difficult to stop and I have been reading more and more about scientists claim life to be common in the universe, or atleast not as rare as they once thought it was.

These scientists are only guessing. Until we either find other life or fully understand the process of its formation, there's no reason to trust such claims.

That is true but I also have no reason to believe why it could be rare, key ingredients for life has been found in abundance in deep space

There are living things that live normally in such a wide array of environments here on Earth that I am almost postivie that there is life somewhere else. There are living things in the hottest of geysers. There are living things in toxic waste just fine. Some living things die when exposed to oxygen.

It must be frusterating being a scientist. "yes there has to be life all out there in the universe! but damn it, we can't get out of htis freaken solar system! What are you rocket scientists doing with all the money that is given to you"

moose said:
There are living things that live normally in such a wide array of environments here on Earth that I am almost postivie that there is life somewhere else.

That assumes that the initial formation of life is a common event, something you can't necessarily infer from your observations. All you can infer is that, once formed, life can survive in a lot of environments. We can be certain that there are planets out there that can support life.

I tend also to think there's life elsewhere, but I have to admit that I'm only guessing. We really need to have a better idea of how life initially formed.

ST is, of course, correct. By my thinking, this is a case for the principle of mediocrity - whatever happens here will happen in most other places with the same initial conditions. Decades ago, this reasoning predicted other [at least sun-like] stars probably have planets. We now know that for a fact - and in fact, it appears planets are the rule, not the exception. However, until an extra terrestrial life form is actually found [and Mars is still an excellent candidate], it is merely speculation. Realistically though, would any scientist bet the house this is the only life bearing planet in the galaxy?

We don't know how life started, but we do know that on an astrophysical time scale it happened quickly.

The earliest signs of life date from just a few hundred million years after the Earth became stable enough (against cosmic impacts) to support life. Therefore it might be that life has started elsewhere relatively quickly too. However the earliest forms of life, the archaebacteria (3.5 Gyr. ago), and other later bacteria, were 'rulers of the Earth' until eukaryotic cells evolved about 1.3 Gyr. ago. Thus nucleated cells, which then evolved into mutlicellular organisms, have only existed for about a third of the time life has been on Earth.

Perhaps there are many planets inhabited by bacteria and nothing else?

Garth

There are signs that microbial life may be common.

Gold Barz said:
There are signs that microbial life may be common.

No there aren't, but I think few scientists would bet against the existence of extraterrestrial microbial life.

Can you be more specific about which part of that you think is evidence for extra-terrestrial life?

Here

"In my view, life in the form of microbes or their equivalents is very common in the universe" - Frank Drake, Professor of Astronomy and Astrophysics at the University of California at Santa Cruz.

"There is no solid evidence of life elsewhere, but several factors suggest it is common. Organic material is widespread in the interstellar medium and in our own solar system. We have found planetary systems around other sun-like stars. Also, we know that microbial ecosystems can survive in a variety of environments with liquid water and a suitable chemical energy source or sunlight. " - Chris McKay, planetary scientist with the Space Science Division of NASA.

"I presume that we are in agreement that microbial life, at least, may be common in our stellar neighborhood and even may be present on other planets" - Michael Meyer, the Senior Scientist for astrobiology at NASA Headquarters.

"I think it is a mistake to look at the many specific peculiarities of Earth's biosphere, and how unlikely such a combination of characteristics seems, and to then conclude that complex life is rare. This argument can only be used to justify the conclusion that planets exactly like Earth, with life exactly like Earth-life, are rare. - David Grinspoon, Principal Scientist in the Department of Space Studies.

These arent just normals folk talking.

Gold Barz said:
"There is no solid evidence of life elsewhere

That's all that matters at this point. The rest is just speculation. From a scientific point of view, informed speculation doesn't constitute evidence or a sign of the existence of extraterrestrial life.

"but several factors suggest it is common"

Maybe I was wrong to type in "signs".

i agree that all we have is speculation, but even by freak accidebts at near-impossible odds (trillion to one or more) there must be hundreds of forms of life in the universe.

think about these two points:

the components of life on Earth are made of elements that are some of the most abundant substances coughed out of exploding stars- the stuff is everywhere

the components of life on Earth find their origins in molecular chains of these common substances- the structures of the chains that create Amino Acids and Proteins are some of the most simple and fundamental topological forms that atomic bonds allow

That is why I think life is common, because the key ingredients for it are found in abundance in the universe and if life is common, then surely once in a while human-like intelligence will arise, especially in complex environments where the environment encourages intelligence. As Chronos said intelligence is efficient and has huge survival value.

FAQ: Is Life Common and Resilient in the Universe?

1. What is resilience?

Resilience is the ability of a living organism or system to adapt and recover from adverse conditions or disturbances. It is the capacity to withstand and bounce back from challenges and maintain its essential functions.

2. How does resilience apply to life?

Resilience is a fundamental characteristic of all living things. From single-celled organisms to complex ecosystems, life has the ability to adapt and thrive in the face of changing environments and threats.

3. Can resilience be measured?

Yes, resilience can be measured through various methods such as observing the response of organisms to stressors, assessing changes in population and community dynamics, and monitoring the recovery of ecosystems after disturbances.

4. What factors contribute to the resilience of life?

The resilience of life is influenced by a variety of factors such as genetic diversity, adaptive capacity, and the availability of resources. The ability to quickly respond to changing conditions and to form symbiotic relationships with other organisms also plays a role.

5. Why is understanding the resilience of life important?

Understanding the resilience of life is crucial for predicting and managing the impacts of environmental changes and disturbances. It also allows us to appreciate the incredible adaptability and diversity of life on our planet.