Is local gauge invariance limiting pQCD to a specific energy regime?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gauge theories, specifically those that use 'nice' gauge transformations. The question is raised about essential properties of quantum mechanics and whether they should be taken more seriously. It is suggested that the analytical properties of gauge transformations represent the Dirac nature of particles. The idea of weakening local gauge invariance is also brought up. The participants also discuss the characterization of electrons in space and the limitations of measuring their properties.
Cinquero
Could someone please give me some references or the name of the theory for gauge theories using 'nice' gauge transformations, eg. transformations whose first derivatives in space are bounded?

Why I ask that: my question is if we shouldn't take essential properties of quantum mechanics more serious. If we need high energies to recognize elementary particles as dirac particles, why do we assume them to be dirac particles at low energies? My idea is that analytical properties of the gauge transformations represent the dirac nature of particles (local charge conservation in contrast to global charge conservation). Could it be that this prejudice (of local gauge invariance) limits pQCD to the regime of large Q^2? What happens if we weaken local gauge invariance somewhat?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why the gauge transformations for the spinor fields one gets using the Arnowitt-Deser method (so called 'Noether procedure') are not 'nice'.
We don't need high energies to recognize an electron.We have to measure its spin and to test invariance to parity to assess a Dirac field to it.

Daniel.

I rather thought of the point-like characterization of the electron in space.

There's no such thing...It is considered a point particle,however,all we can measure is the probability of finding it within a certain finite volume in the real space (or configurations space,if we measure the momentum/energy as well).

Daniel.

Yes. And in general you need short wavelengths for high resolution... (form factors...)

Related to Is local gauge invariance limiting pQCD to a specific energy regime?

1. What are "not-so-local gauge fields"?

"Not-so-local gauge fields" are a type of gauge field in theoretical physics that do not follow the traditional definition of a local gauge field. These fields have non-local interactions and are often used to describe phenomena that cannot be explained by traditional local gauge fields, such as topological phases of matter.

2. How are "not-so-local gauge fields" different from local gauge fields?

The main difference between "not-so-local gauge fields" and local gauge fields is that the former have non-local interactions, while the latter have local interactions. This means that the effects of "not-so-local gauge fields" can extend over large distances, while the effects of local gauge fields are limited to a small region of space.

3. What are some examples of "not-so-local gauge fields" in physics?

Some examples of "not-so-local gauge fields" include the Thirring model in quantum field theory, the Kitaev honeycomb model in condensed matter physics, and the Poincaré gauge theory in gravitational theories. These fields are used to describe various phenomena, such as topological insulators, quantum spin liquids, and non-local interactions in gravity.

4. What is the significance of "not-so-local gauge fields" in theoretical physics?

"Not-so-local gauge fields" have become increasingly important in theoretical physics as they have been shown to play a crucial role in understanding complex phenomena that cannot be explained by local gauge fields. These fields have also led to the development of new mathematical tools and concepts, such as topological quantum field theories and non-commutative geometry.

5. Are there any experimental evidence for the existence of "not-so-local gauge fields"?

While there is currently no direct experimental evidence for the existence of "not-so-local gauge fields", their effects have been indirectly observed in various physical systems. For example, the fractional quantum Hall effect, which is described by a topological field theory, provides evidence for the existence of "not-so-local gauge fields" in condensed matter systems.