Is Maple the Underrated CAS for Numerical Computing?

In summary, Maple is often overlooked as a computer algebra system (CAS) for numerical computing, but it offers powerful capabilities in this area. With its efficient algorithms and excellent data visualization tools, Maple can handle complex mathematical calculations and generate high-quality graphs. Additionally, its user-friendly interface and extensive library of built-in functions make it a valuable tool for scientists, engineers, and mathematicians. While other CAS programs may be more well-known, Maple's impressive numerical computing capabilities make it a highly underrated choice for tackling numerical problems.
mech-eng
Until now, I have always think of Matlab as CAS but now I know that it is not. So how do you understand this?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Matlab competes with Mathematica and it needs to have comparable features.

https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/90063

Folks using CAS systems are interested in working from theory to the equations in a particular situation and CAS can help with the symbolic manipulation.

In contrast engineers want to get actual numbers and charts displayed to aid in analyzing a physical system.

They are coming at a problem from different angles and use symbolics or numerical simulations to get what they need.

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
Matlab competes with Mathematica and it needs to have comparable features.

https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/90063

Should not it be "does not compete with Mathematica" because they are in different categories?

jedishrfu said:
Folks using CAS systems are interested in working from theory to the equations in a particular situation and CAS can help with the symbolic manipulation.

In contrast engineers want to get actual numbers and charts displayed to aid in analyzing a physical system.

They are coming at a problem from different angles and use symbolics or numerical simulations to get what they need.

Do you mean "numerical calculation" is better for engineering than symbolic calculation, and so MATLAB is better for engineers than CAS?

Thank you.

Yes, many engineering problems start with taking measurements and making sense of them. As an example, you might measure the sound intensity in some environment and then use an FFT to determine the primary frequencies and then do some beam forming to find the direction of the sound source. Matlab works great for these kinds of numerical calculations.

They do compete for students, professionals and other engineer's money. it's why they have student editions to get in early and then when the students graduate they'll demand the product for work and then cost is far higher.

MATLAB has a symbolic math toolkit

https://www.mathworks.com/products/symbolic.html

jedishrfu said:
Yes, many engineering problems start with taking measurements and making sense of them. As an example, you might measure the sound intensity in some environment and then use an FFT to determine the primary frequencies and then do some beam forming to find the direction of the sound source. Matlab works great for these kinds of numerical calculations.

I am not familiar with concepts here. Would you please explain why taking units is related to numerical computing but not symbolic? As I know them, numerical computing is better for some cases and vice versa. They are just approaches to obtain a calcuation results and numerical methods/calculation are such as Newton-raphson, bisection method and symbolic is calculus, taking a limit, taking a simple derivative or integral, again saying as I know them. I think numerical methods are harder from respect of both understand and application.

Thank you.

I don't know what else to say here.

Perhaps you can explain what you think CAS is vs numerical computing.

mech-eng said:
I am not familiar with concepts here. Would you please explain why taking units is related to numerical computing but not symbolic? As I know them, numerical computing is better for some cases and vice versa. They are just approaches to obtain a calcuation results and numerical methods/calculation are such as Newton-raphson, bisection method and symbolic is calculus, taking a limit, taking a simple derivative or integral, again saying as I know them. I think numerical methods are harder from respect of both understand and application.

Thank you.
If you're an engineer, you may have a lot of data to process and need not worry about having absolute precision. In that case, you can use numerical analysis and take advantage of your CPU(s) computational power. The truncation errors with numerical methods will hopefully be much smaller than the maximum error tolerance for your task. If you're an engineer, you want to use the most efficient method, i.e. minimizing the computational time while maintaining some control over the error variability.

Numerical analysis, in some instances, is in fact derived from calculus. For example, the trapezoid rule is the fundamental theorem of calculus without the limit of h approaching 0. Moreover, symbolic math can be used alongside numerical analysis. For example, using Newton's method requires a derivative which is problematic to approximate numerically, so a symbolic derivative may be employed.

Likes mech-eng
I think one of the more underrated pieces of software out right now is Maple. It's a solid piece of software and is fantastic at differential equations (which are indispensable everywhere). Not only that, but it can solve them numerically and symbolically. Also it has a package for nearly everything you could want. It comes preloaded with loads of different packages that can do anything from find solutions for the Einstein field equations and help you calculate amplitudes of Feynman diagrams to doing just some basic graphs.

But, it is either (A) ultra expensive or (B) hard to get your hands on. To get the personal edition, you need to shell out over 200 dollars, and to get the student discount, you need to basically give them your liver before they'll believe you to be a student.

But, if you can take the pain, it's worth it.

Related to Is Maple the Underrated CAS for Numerical Computing?

1. What is a CAS and how does it differ from numerical computing?

A CAS (Computer Algebra System) is a software program designed to perform symbolic mathematical calculations, such as algebraic manipulation and equation solving. It differs from numerical computing, which involves performing calculations with numerical values instead of symbols.

2. What are the benefits of using a CAS for scientific research?

A CAS can handle complex mathematical expressions and equations more efficiently than manual calculations or numerical computing. It also allows for symbolic manipulation, making it easier to derive and verify mathematical formulas and equations. Additionally, a CAS can handle large datasets and perform computations with high precision, which is crucial for many scientific research applications.

3. Can a CAS be used for non-mathematical applications?

Yes, a CAS can also be used for non-mathematical applications such as data analysis, machine learning, and computer graphics. CAS software can handle and manipulate large datasets, making it useful for various scientific and engineering applications.

4. Is there a difference between an open-source and commercial CAS?

Yes, there are differences between open-source and commercial CAS software. Open-source CAS is typically free to use and modify, while commercial CAS requires a paid license. Additionally, commercial CAS may offer more features and support, but open-source CAS can be customized and tailored to specific needs.

5. Can a CAS replace traditional mathematical methods?

No, a CAS cannot completely replace traditional mathematical methods. While a CAS can handle complex mathematical expressions and equations, it still requires input and guidance from a user. Additionally, traditional mathematical methods are still essential for understanding and verifying the results produced by a CAS.