Is Matrix Addition Commutative?

In summary, we can prove that if the sum of two linear operators is defined as the sum of their matrices, then the sum of these matrices is equal to the sum of the operators. The dummy variables used in the proof do not affect the outcome as long as they are consistent throughout the proof.
albega
Suppose we have linear operators A' and B'. We define their sum C'=A'+B' such that
C'|v>=(A'+B')|v>=A'|v>+B'|v>.

Now we can represent A',B',C' by matrices A,B,C respectively. I have a question about proving that if C'=A'+B', C=A+B holds. The proof is

Using the above with Einstein summation convention,
C|v>=A|v>+B|v>
and so component i on each side matches. Then
Cijvj=Aijvj+Bijvj
which holds for any |v>, so
C=A+B
as this is how we define matrix addition.

However, why couldn't I have written
Cijvj=Aikvk+Bilvl
because I have changed only dummy variables, not affecting the sum. This would then not lead to Cijvj=Aijvj+Bijvj. I'm assuming it's something to do with the fact the next step sort of stops this sum from happening anyway, but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
albega said:
However, why couldn't I have written
Cijvj=Aikvk+Bilvl
because I have changed only dummy variables, not affecting the sum.

Yes, you could have written that, but it would change nothing since the only difference is in what you call the dummy variables. You could just rename them back and write it back on your original form.

Orodruin said:
Yes, you could have written that, but it would change nothing since the only difference is in what you call the dummy variables. You could just rename them back and write it back on your original form.

It's just that if I do say
Cijvj=Aikvk+Bilvl
and then I write
Cij=Aik+Bil
It looks like a different story, and we can't see that the k and l were initially dummy variables and so we can't simply say it's ok to change them both to j.

Ahh, actually, if we do that then we can't cancel out the v components anymore from each of the sums can we, which answers my question...

k and l are dummy variables, you cannot just take them away from the v, you would end up with an expression that does not make sense (you cannot have different free indices in Cij). However, you can rename them both to j (they are dummy indices after all) and then factorise the vj out.

albega said:
It's just that if I do say
Cijvj=Aikvk+Bilvl
and then I write
Cij=Aik+Bil
It looks like a different story, and we can't see that the k and l were initially dummy variables and so we can't simply say it's ok to change them both to j.

Ahh, actually, if we do that then we can't cancel out the v components anymore from each of the sums can we, which answers my question...
Use the definition of matrix multiplication: ##(AB)_{ij}=A_{ik}B_{kj}##.
\begin{align}
&C_{ij}v_j=(Cv)_i\\
&A_{ik}v_k+B_{il}v_l=(Av)_i+(Bv)_i=(Av+Bv)_i
\end{align} Since the left-hand sides are equal, the right-hand sides are equal, and we have ##Cv=Av+Bv=(A+B)v##. If this holds for all v, then ##C=A+B##.

Related to Is Matrix Addition Commutative?

What is a linear operator?

A linear operator is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another while preserving the vector space structure. In simpler terms, it is a function that takes in a vector and outputs another vector, where the operations of addition and scalar multiplication are still valid.

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent linear transformations and solve systems of linear equations. Matrices can also be used to store and manipulate data in fields such as computer graphics and statistics.

How are linear operators and matrices related?

Linear operators and matrices are closely related because a linear operator can be represented as a matrix with respect to a particular basis. The matrix representation of a linear operator can be used to perform calculations and solve problems involving linear transformations.

What is the difference between a linear operator and a linear transformation?

A linear operator is a mathematical function, while a linear transformation is a mapping between two vector spaces. A linear operator can be represented as a matrix, while a linear transformation may not have a matrix representation.

What are some applications of linear operators and matrices in science?

Linear operators and matrices have various applications in science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to model physical systems, analyze data, and solve problems involving linear transformations. Some specific examples include quantum mechanics, control theory, and image processing.