Is McLaurin Expansion the Key to Solving Integration by Expansion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the integral of a function and how it can be expanded using McLaurin series. The convergence of the series is tested and it is shown that the integral can be expressed as a sum, which can be further simplified as x approaches 0.
ra_forever8
Consider the integral
\begin{equation}
I(x)= \frac{1}{\pi} \int^{\pi}_{0} sin(xsint) dt
\end{equation}
show that
\begin{equation}
I(x)= \frac{2x}{\pi} +O(x^{3})
\end{equation}
as $x\rightarrow0$.
=> I Have used the expansion of McLaurin series of $I(x)$ but did not work.
please help me.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if the expansion correct. However, we can do it as follow.

By McLaurin expansion, we have

\(\displaystyle f(x,t)=\sin(x\sin t)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(-1)^{n-1}\frac{x^{2n-1}}{(2n-1)!}(\sin t)^{2n-1}=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} f_n(x,t)\).

Since we integrate \(\displaystyle f(x,t)\) on \(\displaystyle E=[0,\pi]\ni t\), we should test uniform convergence of the series, \(\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} f_n(x,t)\), at first.

Clearly, \(\displaystyle |f_n(x,t)|\leq \frac{|x|^{2n-1}}{(2n-1)!}\) on \(\displaystyle E\ni t\), and \(\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{|x|^{2n-1}}{(2n-1)!}\) converges uniformly on \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\ni x\). Thus, \(\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} f_n(x,t)\) converges uniformly on \(\displaystyle E\ni t\).Hence \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{\pi}\int_E f(x,t)dt=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_E \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}f_n(x,t)dt=\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\int_E f_n(x,t)dt=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_E x\sin tdt+O(x^3)\), as \(\displaystyle x\) goes to \(\displaystyle 0\).

I think you can complete the rest.

Related to Is McLaurin Expansion the Key to Solving Integration by Expansion?

What is integration by expansion?

Integration by expansion is a technique used in calculus to solve integrals by expanding the integrand into a polynomial expression and then integrating each term separately.

When is integration by expansion useful?

Integration by expansion is useful when the integrand is a polynomial, a rational function, or a trigonometric function with a small angle. It is also useful when the integrand contains a radical expression that can be simplified using expansion.

What are the steps for integration by expansion?

The steps for integration by expansion are as follows:

1. Expand the integrand into a polynomial expression.
  2. Integrate each term of the polynomial separately.
  3. Combine the results to form the final integral.

What are some common techniques used for integration by expansion?

Some common techniques used for integration by expansion include the binomial theorem, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities. These techniques help to simplify the expanded polynomial and make it easier to integrate.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by expansion?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by expansion include:

• Forgetting to expand the integrand before integrating.
  • Forgetting to integrate each term separately.
  • Using incorrect expansion techniques.
  • Not simplifying the expanded polynomial before integrating.