Is Michael Spivak's Calculus I book worth the investment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the value of purchasing Michael Spivak's Calculus I book for $75. The question is posed about the book's advantages and how it stands out compared to other calculus books. It is mentioned that the book comes with an answer book and a new edition will be released soon. However, the opinion is shared that the book is not as great as others and it may be more beneficial to study a book on real analysis instead. Different perspectives on learning calculus are also mentioned, specifically from an engineer/scientist's viewpoint and a mathematician's viewpoint.
sutupidmath
well, i would like to know whether it is worth paying $75 for the book of Michael Spivak Calculus I?? what i want to say, is that i have heard that it is a great book, so since i have never seen it personally, then would someone who has seen it or even worked with it explain to me what are some of the advantages of this book to others. SO what makes it outstand among other calculus I books?

thnx in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
search spivak or apostol

also, spivak's book comes with an answer book.

ps. a new edition of his book will be out by next summer/spring time but there will not be an answer book for another few months after it's release.

Its not that great in my opinion. Its not real analysis, and it doesn't contain many applications of calculus. Stewarts book is good for learning and applying calculus. You should then study a book on real analysis like Pugh. You need to get different perspectives from learning calculus (i.e. an engineers/scientists viewpoint and a mathematicians viewpoint). The mathematicians viewpoint comes when you study real analysis. So you might as well learn it properly then waste time on studying a half calculus/ analysis text.

Last edited:

Related to Is Michael Spivak's Calculus I book worth the investment?

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It involves the use of mathematical concepts such as derivatives and integrals to solve problems related to rates of change, optimization, and motion.

2. Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides a powerful tool for analyzing and solving real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It also serves as the foundation for higher-level mathematical concepts and helps in developing critical thinking skills.

3. What topics are typically covered in a Calculus I book?

A Calculus I book typically covers topics such as limits, derivatives, applications of derivatives, and integrals. It may also include topics such as anti-derivatives, differential equations, and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

4. How can I use a Calculus I book effectively?

To use a Calculus I book effectively, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. It is also recommended to work through practice problems and examples to understand the concepts and their applications. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or instructor can also aid in understanding the material.

5. Are there any recommended Calculus I books?

There are many recommended Calculus I books available, and the best one for you may depend on your learning style and goals. Some popular options include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Ron Larson and Bruce Edwards, and "Calculus" by Michael Spivak.