is modifying a submitted paper considered a duplicate submission?

• Other
  • Thread starter patric44
  • Start date
patric44
Hello every one, I recently submitted a paper using a specific Hamiltonian to analyze the nuclear structure of a certain element to a journal. Then I found that another journal has a special issue about my topic. I modified the original paper by using another chemical element which changed all the figures and the conclusion of the paper I changed most of equation symbols as well but the Hamiltonian still the same. Is it safe now to submit it to the other journal or that still considered as an unethical duplicate submission and it might affect the other paper as well. I still didn't get any decision regarding the first paper.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you cite paper #1 in paper #2? If the answer is "no", that is a problem. If the answer is "yes", maybe it is and maybe it isn't.

Likes patric44
Vanadium 50 said:
Do you cite paper #1 in paper #2? If the answer is "no", that is a problem. If the answer is "yes", maybe it is and maybe it isn't.
i didn't cite the 1st paper because I don't know if it will be published or not in the first journal it still in the review process. So what if I changed the Hamiltonian of the second paper to another parametrization, this will change most of the analysis. my main question is how to modify the first paper or to what extend, to make it safe for a submission in another journal?
I see a lot of similar papers from the same authors (well known in my field) in different journals, do journals really take modified papers very seriously as a duplicate submission? or they could say "that's a good paper that people might highly cite, so better have a modified version of it in our journal as well "

patric44 said:
i didn't cite the 1st paper
You certainly can - cite the preprint, say "submitted to XXX for publication" or even "in preparation".

It's clear what answer you want. I'm not going to help you skirt the rules. Maybe someone else will, but not me.

• Informative
Likes patric44