Is Molecular Orbital Theory really helpful?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of hybridization and molecular orbital theory to determine the bond order of molecules. The speaker suggests that understanding the geometry and symmetry of the molecule can be helpful in this process. However, they also acknowledge that the topic can be complex and may require further research.
prakhargupta3301
Who am I kidding? Of course it is. But, everywhere I look, the series of increasing levels of orbitals is till
σ*2pz only
upload_2018-7-10_22-38-36.png

That's all.
So if I need to find bond order of , say, some molecule with greater number of e- like BF3 with 24 electrons, how do I proceed?

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-10_22-38-36.png
    upload_2018-7-10_22-38-36.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 824
Chemistry news on Phys.org
In this sort of thing, it helps to know the geometry and any symmetry the molecule may have. In the case of ## sp^3 ## hybridization, if I remember correctly, (it has been quite a few years since I took a sequence of undergraduate chemistry courses, and it also showed up later in a physics group theory graduate course), you get 4 orbitals that form a tetrahedron around the central atom, and if you only have 3 atoms to attach, you may be left with a lone pair of electrons on the 4th corner of the tetrahedron. I haven't used this stuff a lot, but yes, it can be useful. ## \\ ## Edit: And a subsequent google shows I have it correct: https://courses.lumenlearning.com/introchem/chapter/sp3-hybridization/

Last edited:
Likes prakhargupta3301
Likes prakhargupta3301

FAQ: Is Molecular Orbital Theory really helpful?

1. What is Molecular Orbital Theory?

Molecular Orbital Theory is a theoretical model used in chemistry to explain the bonding and electronic structure of molecules. It describes how atomic orbitals combine to form molecular orbitals, which determine the properties and behavior of molecules.

2. How is Molecular Orbital Theory helpful?

Molecular Orbital Theory allows us to predict and understand the properties of molecules based on their electronic structure. It helps us explain why some molecules are stable while others are not, and why some molecules have certain shapes and reactivity. It also allows us to design and create new molecules with specific properties for various applications.

3. Is Molecular Orbital Theory accurate?

Molecular Orbital Theory is a highly accurate model that has been extensively tested and validated through experiments and calculations. It is one of the most widely accepted theories in chemistry and has been successfully applied to various molecular systems.

4. Are there any limitations to Molecular Orbital Theory?

Like any other scientific theory, Molecular Orbital Theory has its limitations. It is based on simplifying assumptions and does not account for all the factors that can influence the behavior of molecules. It also becomes more complex and less accurate when applied to larger and more complex molecules.

5. How is Molecular Orbital Theory related to other theories in chemistry?

Molecular Orbital Theory is closely related to other theories in chemistry, such as Valence Bond Theory and Hybridization Theory. These theories all attempt to explain the bonding and electronic structure of molecules, but they use different approaches and models. Molecular Orbital Theory is considered to be a more comprehensive and accurate theory compared to others.

Back