Is My Calculation for a Microwave's Turntable Spin Correct?

In summary, the problem discusses a microwave with a turntable that spins at a rate of 3.0 revolutions per minute. A 250.0g cup of coffee is placed 15.0cm from the centre of the turntable. The period of revolution is found to be 20 seconds, the tangential velocity is 4.7123 m/s and the centripetal force on the cup is 0.0785 N towards the center of the circle. The centripetal force is provided by the spinning turntable and friction. The accuracy of the calculations is not verified.
unique_pavadrin

Homework Statement

A microwave's turntable spins 3.0 revolutions per minute. It has a 250.0g cup of coffee placed 15.0cm from its centre. Find its period of revolution, its tangential velocity and the centripetal force on the cup.

2. The attempt at a solution
period of revolution [tex]\frac{{60}}{3} = 20[/tex] seconds
tangential velocity [tex]\frac{{2\pi r}}{T} = \frac{{2\left( \pi \right)\left( {15} \right)}}{{20}} = 4.7123\,m\,s^{ - 1} [/tex]
centripetal force [tex]\frac{{mv^2 }}{r} = \frac{{0.25\left( {\frac{{2\left( {15} \right)\left( \pi \right)}}{{20}}} \right)}}{{15}} = 0.0785\,N[/tex] towards the centre of the circle

I was wondering if somebody could kindly take the time to look over my working and see if it is correct. Thank you greatly for your time and effort.
unique_pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
I didnt check the numbers but the rest looks okay. What is providing the centripetal force here?

the centripetal force is provided by the spinning turntable of the microwave if I'm not mistaken.

i presumed it is friction that is providing the centripetal force...

friction of...

Related to Is My Calculation for a Microwave's Turntable Spin Correct?

1. What is horizontal circular motion?

Horizontal circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves along a circular path in a horizontal plane, meaning it stays at the same height from the ground and does not rise or fall. This type of motion is often seen in amusement park rides, such as a carousel or a Ferris wheel.

2. What causes an object to undergo horizontal circular motion?

An object undergoes horizontal circular motion when there is a centripetal force acting on it. This force is directed towards the center of the circular path and keeps the object moving along the path.

3. How is the speed of an object in horizontal circular motion determined?

The speed of an object in horizontal circular motion can be determined by dividing the distance traveled along the circular path by the time it takes to complete one full revolution. This is the average speed of the object. The instantaneous speed, or the speed at a specific point along the path, can be calculated using calculus.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical circular motion?

The main difference between horizontal and vertical circular motion is the direction of the centripetal force. In horizontal circular motion, the force acts towards the center of the circle, while in vertical circular motion, the force acts towards the center of the circle and also has a vertical component to keep the object moving along the curved path.

5. How does horizontal circular motion affect the forces acting on an object?

In horizontal circular motion, there are two main forces acting on the object: the centripetal force and the force of gravity. The centripetal force is responsible for keeping the object moving along the circular path, while the force of gravity acts downwards towards the center of the earth. These two forces work together to keep the object in motion and maintain its speed and direction along the circular path.

Back