Is My Calculation for the Differential Equation Solution Correct?

In summary, the best way to check if an answer is correct is to review the steps and processes used, double-check calculations, reference reliable sources, and seek feedback from peers or experts. To determine accuracy, you can compare your answer to a known correct solution, use mathematical or scientific principles, or have someone else review your work. If unsure, try approaching the problem from a different angle or seek help from a teacher or classmate. To avoid mistakes, pay attention to details, use reliable sources, and take breaks when reviewing your work. Checking for accuracy is important to ensure correct and reliable answers, identify mistakes, and improve skills and understanding in the subject area.
Math10

Homework Statement

Find a second solution y2 for x^2*y"+xy'-y=0; y1=x that isn't a constant multiple of the solution y1.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my work:
I divided by x^2,
y"+(1/x)y'-(1/x^2)y=0
P(x)=1/x and Q(x)=-1/x^2
Let y(x)=v(x)*x
y'(x)=v'(x)*x+v(x)
(1/x)y'(x)=v'(x)+v(x)/x
y"(x)=v'(x)+v"(x)*x+v'(x)=xv"(x)+2v'(x)
xv"(x)+2v'(x)+v'(x)+v(x)/x-v(x)*x/(x^2)=0
xv"(x)+3v'(x)=0
Let w=v'
w'=v"
xw'+3w=0
w'=-3w/x
dw/dx=-3w/x
dw/w=-3/x dx
integrate
ln abs(w)=-3ln abs(x)+C
Don't count C, the constant.
w=1/x^3
w=v'=1/x^3
dv/dx=1/x^2
don't count c, the constant.
v=-1/2x^2
y=v*x
y=-1/2x^2*x=-1/2x
But the answer in the book is y2=1/x. I got y=-1/2x, which answer is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Both are correct. If "y" is a solution to a "linear homogenous differential equation", which this is, then "Ay" is also a solution for any constant, A.

Last edited by a moderator:
Math10 said:

Homework Statement

Find a second solution y2 for x^2*y"+xy'-y=0; y1=x that isn't a constant multiple of the solution y1.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my work:
I divided by x^2,
y"+(1/x)y'-(1/x^2)y=0
P(x)=1/x and Q(x)=-1/x^2
Let y(x)=v(x)*x
y'(x)=v'(x)*x+v(x)
(1/x)y'(x)=v'(x)+v(x)/x
y"(x)=v'(x)+v"(x)*x+v'(x)=xv"(x)+2v'(x)
xv"(x)+2v'(x)+v'(x)+v(x)/x-v(x)*x/(x^2)=0
xv"(x)+3v'(x)=0
Let w=v'
w'=v"
xw'+3w=0
w'=-3w/x
dw/dx=-3w/x
dw/w=-3/x dx
integrate
ln abs(w)=-3ln abs(x)+C
w=1/x^3
w=v'=1/x^3
dv/dx=1/x^2
don't count c, the constant.
v=-1/2x^2
y=v*x
y=-1/2x^2*x=-1/2x
If you include a much needed set of parentheses in your solution, y = -1/(2x) , then both are correct.

Instead of throwing out C, use C = ln(2) .

Math10 said:

What stops you from plugging the answers back in the DE and checking for yourself?

LCKurtz said:
What stops you from plugging the answers back in the DE and checking for yourself?
I agree. @Math10, at this point in your studies, any problem that you can check, you should check. You have already done the hard work of find the second solution. It's a simple matter to verify that what you have found actually is a solution.

But when do I use C=ln(2)? After integrating dw/w=-3/x dx? But how did you get C=ln(2)?

Math10 said:
But when do I use C=ln(2)? After integrating dw/w=-3/x dx? But how did you get C=ln(2)?
I assume that you are referring to my response somewhere above.

Notice that most of the previous respondents used the 'Reply' feature which includes a quote from the post they reference.

integrate
ln abs(w)=-3ln abs(x)+C
w=1/x^3
C is an arbitrary constant, Right?

Suppose you keep it, rather than discarding it.

You then have ##\displaystyle e^{\,\ln|w|}=e^{\,\ln(|x|^{-3})+C}\ ##.

So that ##\displaystyle w=\pm e^Cx^{-3}\ ## .

Carry that on through.

Then, ##\displaystyle v=\pm\frac{1}{2}e^Cx^{-3}+c_2 ## .

In your solution, you let c2 = 0. That's fine.

You can choose C = ln(2), so that ## e^C ## cancels the ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\ ##.

This together with choosing the - sign from the ± gives the book solution.

FAQ: Is My Calculation for the Differential Equation Solution Correct?

1. What is the best way to check if an answer is correct?

The best way to check if an answer is correct is to review the steps and processes used to arrive at the answer. Double-checking calculations, referencing reliable sources, and seeking feedback from peers or experts can also help ensure the accuracy of an answer.

2. How do I know if my work is accurate?

To determine the accuracy of your work, you can compare your answer to a known correct answer or solution. You can also use mathematical or scientific principles to verify the logic and reasoning behind your answer. Additionally, having someone else review your work can help identify any errors or areas for improvement.

3. What should I do if I am unsure if my answer is correct?

If you are unsure if your answer is correct, you can try to approach the problem from a different angle or perspective. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. It is important to keep an open mind and be willing to revise your answer if necessary.

4. How can I avoid making mistakes when checking my work?

To avoid making mistakes when checking your work, it is important to pay attention to details, use reliable sources and references, and follow the rules and guidelines provided for the problem. Taking breaks and reviewing your work with a fresh set of eyes can also help catch any errors or mistakes.

5. Why is it important to check my work for accuracy?

Checking your work for accuracy is important because it ensures that your answer is correct and reliable. It also helps to identify any mistakes or errors that can impact the validity of your work. Additionally, checking your work can help you understand the concepts and processes used to arrive at the answer, allowing you to improve your skills and knowledge in the subject area.

Back