Is My Calculation of Marketable Disk Packs Using the Poisson Process Correct?

In summary, the hard disk manufacturing process involves depositing a thin coating of magnetic material on a plastic substrate. Empirical measurement has shown that the process introduces 20 defects per 15000cm squared. This means that for every 800cm squared of material, there is an average of 1.0666... defects. This process allows for one defect per disk pack, making it marketable. The percentage of marketable disk packs produced by this process can be calculated using the Poisson Process equation, which gives an answer of 0.94470.
KataKoniK
I'm having a bit of trouble in coming up with the solution for this question

A hard disk manufacturing process desposites a thin coating of magnetic material on a plastic substrate. Empirical measurement has shown that the process introduces 20 defects per 15000cm squared. A disk pack contains 800cm squared of this material. A disk pack with one defect is marketable because the disk controller can compensate for one error by using a spare location. What is the percentage of marketable disk packs produced by this process?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the process introduces 20 defects per 15000 cm^2, it introduces 1.0666... defects per 800 cm^2, and then you can use the Poisson directly.

Thank you for the help. The answer I got using the Poisson Process eqn was .94470. Is this correct?

Last edited:

Related to Is My Calculation of Marketable Disk Packs Using the Poisson Process Correct?

1. What is a Poisson process?

A Poisson process is a type of stochastic process that models the occurrence of events over time. It is based on the assumption that events occur randomly and independently of each other, with a constant rate of occurrence.

2. How is a Poisson process different from other types of stochastic processes?

Poisson processes differ from other types of stochastic processes, such as Markov processes or Brownian motion, in that they have a discrete and non-overlapping nature. This means that events occur at specific points in time rather than continuously.

3. What is the probability distribution used in a Poisson process?

The probability distribution used in a Poisson process is the Poisson distribution. This distribution describes the probability of a certain number of events occurring in a given time period, based on the rate of occurrence of events.

4. How is the rate of occurrence of events determined in a Poisson process?

In a Poisson process, the rate of occurrence of events is typically denoted by the symbol λ (lambda). This rate can be determined based on historical data or estimated using other statistical methods.

5. What are some real-world applications of Poisson processes?

Poisson processes have various real-world applications, such as modeling the arrival of customers at a store, the number of phone calls received by a call center, or the number of defects in a production process. They can also be used in areas such as finance, biology, and physics.