Is My δ Correct for lim (x,y)→(0,0) f(x,y) = 0?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of showing that (x^4+y^4)/(x^2+y^2) < ε for a given ε if 0 < x^2 + y^2 < δ^2 for a suitable δ. The conversation also introduces different forms of the limit definition and discusses the choice of δ in the solution. The expert points out some errors in the calculations and suggests a different approach to the problem.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Show that : (x^4+y^4)/(x^2+y^2) < ε if 0 < x^2 + y^2 < δ^2 for a suitably chosen δ depending on ε.

Homework Equations

[itex]\forall[/itex]ε>0, [itex]\exists[/itex]δ>0 | 0 < (x^2 + y^2)^(1/2) < δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] |f(x,y) - L| < ε

Obviously here were dealing with lim (x,y)→(0,0) f(x,y) = 0 so the following statement is equivalent and more convenient to use in my opinion:

[itex]\forall[/itex]ε>0, [itex]\exists[/itex]δ>0 | 0 < |x|,|y| < δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] |f(x,y) - L| < ε

The Attempt at a Solution

So we know : |x| < δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] x^2<δ^2 and also |y|<δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] y^2<δ^2

And using the triangle inequality we also consider : |x^4 + y^4| ≤ |x|^4 + |y|^4

So putting those together we observe :

|f(x,y) - L| = |(x^4+y^4)/(x^2+y^2)| ≤ (|x|^4 + |y|^4)/(|x|^2 + |y|^2) < 2δ^4/2δ^2 = δ^2 ≤ ε

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] δ = [itex]\sqrt{ε}[/itex]

Now that I have my δ, I could go through and prove that it was the right δ, but I have one problem. The book says that δ = [itex]\sqrt{ε/2}[/itex] so I'm wondering where I went wrong or is this a typo in the book? If it helps I also tried using the other statement 0 < (x^2+y^2)^(1/2) < δ and got the right answer, but I'm not sure why I'm wrong about this other method?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Although I agree with your choice of [itex]\delta=\sqrt{\epsilon}[/itex], I disagree with some of your calculations.

Zondrina said:

Homework Equations

[itex]\forall[/itex]ε>0, [itex]\exists[/itex]δ>0 | 0 < (x^2 + y^2)^(1/2) < δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] |f(x,y) - L| < ε

Obviously here were dealing with lim (x,y)→(0,0) f(x,y) = 0 so the following statement is equivalent and more convenient to use in my opinion:

[itex]\forall[/itex]ε>0, [itex]\exists[/itex]δ>0 | 0 < |x|,|y| < δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] |f(x,y) - L| < ε

Your statement of limit is incorrect here. If should read [itex]0< ||(x,y)||<\delta \Rightarrow |f(x,y)|<\epsilon.[/itex]

Where I have taken your L to be zero, as is the question.

Zondrina said:

The Attempt at a Solution

So we know : |x| < δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] x^2<δ^2 and also |y|<δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] y^2<δ^2

This is true, but it is not necessary that we require |x| < δ and |y| < δ since this follows whenever [itex]||(x,y)||<\delta[/itex]. Again, this is just a clarification. I more so wish to emphasize that whatever limit definition you used above was incorrectly copied down.

Zondrina said:
And using the triangle inequality we also consider : |x^4 + y^4| ≤ |x|^4 + |y|^4

This is fine. However, triangle inequality is not required since x^4 and y^4 are both positive.

Zondrina said:
So putting those together we observe :

|f(x,y) - L| = |(x^4+y^4)/(x^2+y^2)| ≤ (|x|^4 + |y|^4)/(|x|^2 + |y|^2) < 2δ^4/2δ^2 = δ^2 ≤ ε

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] δ = [itex]\sqrt{ε}[/itex]

The second to last inequality does not follow. In general, we have the following:
[tex] (x^2+y^2)<\delta \Rightarrow 1/\delta<1/(x^2+y^2). [/tex]
However, you have (falsely) assumed
[tex] (x^2+y^2)<\delta \Rightarrow 1/(x^2+y^2)<1/\delta[/tex]
or something of that form.

A quick way to prove the end result would be to, first, drop those abolute values (since |x|^2=x^2, etc.), and then notice that [itex]x^4+y^4=(x^2+y^2)^2-2x^2y^2[/itex], and work from there.

Related to Is My δ Correct for lim (x,y)→(0,0) f(x,y) = 0?

What is a multivariate ε-δ proof?

A multivariate ε-δ proof is a type of mathematical proof used to establish that a function has a certain limit at a specific point. It involves using two variables, ε and δ, to define a range of values around the point in question, and showing that for any value of ε, there exists a corresponding value of δ such that the function's output will fall within the defined range.

Why is a multivariate ε-δ proof important?

A multivariate ε-δ proof is important because it provides a rigorous and formal way to prove that a function has a specific limit at a point. This is essential in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus and analysis, where the concept of a limit is fundamental to understanding a function's behavior.

What are the key components of a multivariate ε-δ proof?

The key components of a multivariate ε-δ proof are the two variables, ε and δ, which are used to define a range of values around the point in question. The proof also involves defining a function, finding an appropriate value of δ for a given ε, and showing that the function's output falls within the defined range for all values of ε.

How does a multivariate ε-δ proof differ from a single variable ε-δ proof?

A multivariate ε-δ proof differs from a single variable ε-δ proof in that it involves using two variables, ε and δ, instead of just one. This allows for a more precise and flexible definition of the range of values around the point in question, and can make the proof more challenging to construct.

What are some common challenges when constructing a multivariate ε-δ proof?

Some common challenges when constructing a multivariate ε-δ proof include finding an appropriate value of δ for a given ε, understanding the behavior of the function in question, and ensuring that the proof is logically sound and rigorous. Additionally, the use of multiple variables can make the proof more complex and difficult to visualize.