Is My Flow Rate Calculation Correct?

• Thread starter Ross891
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow
In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem involving flow rates, but was not able to due to their lack of knowledge on the topic. They were then able to get help from a tutor.
Ross891
Help with flow rates... part 2

Homework Statement

A convergent divergent nozzle has an initial diameter of 1m this then reduces in size to 0.5 and finally expands to 2m the initial flow rate 22 m^3/s and the relative density of the fluid is 0.45

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out the areas of the first two diameters

∏X1^2/4 = 0.785

∏X0.5^2/4=0.196

Next I'd divide the small answer into the large one.

0.785/0.196=4.005

Then I multiplied this answer by the previous flow,rate

4.005x22=88m^3/s

Now the flow rate through the 0.5 diameter is 88m^3/s

To work out the velocity of flow rearrange the equation of flow rate flow rate/surface area

88/0.196=448.97

And I worked out the velocity of diameter a too.

22/0.785=28.02

Next I worked out the surface area of the 2m diameter

∏X2^2/4=3.141

Next I divided the surface area of the 0.5m diameter Into the 2m diameters surface area.

3.141/0.196=16.02

Now use the rearranged flowrate equation that I used earlier to get the velocity of flow.

16.02/3.141=5.1

Velocity for diameters:

1m=28.02m/s
0.5m=91.66m/s
2m=5.1m/s

For part b it is relatively easy

Surface area x relative density x velocity

For dia 1m 0.785x0.45x28.02= 9.891 kg/s
For dia 0.5m 0.196x0.45x91.66= 8.08 kg/s
For dia 2m 3.141x0.45x5.1=7.2063

I'm a little rusty to say the least on flowrates and I would appreciate comments on weather This is right?

Physics news on Phys.org

Ross891 said:
Then I multiplied this answer by the previous flow,rate
4.005x22=88m^3/s
Now the flow rate through the 0.5 diameter is 88m^3/s
If 22 m3/s of water is entering the pipe, but 88m3/s is flowing past some point along the path, 66m3/s is magically appearing out of nowhere.
As the pipe changes width, the linear flow rate changes, but the mass flow rate cannot, so (unless it's compressible) neither can the volumetric flow rate.

haruspex said:
If 22 m3/s of water is entering the pipe, but 88m3/s is flowing past some point along the path, 66m3/s is magically appearing out of nowhere.
As the pipe changes width, the linear flow rate changes, but the mass flow rate cannot, so (unless it's compressible) neither can the volumetric flow rate.

That's interesting and It makes sense.

It could well be that the flow rate has once again been mixed up with velocity of flow. Ill check with my tutor.

Ross891 said:
It could well be that the flow rate has once again been mixed up with velocity of flow. Ill check with my tutor.
There was nothing obviously wrong with the problem as stated, but you left out what the questions were. If it asked for the velocity at various points then it would be fine.

haruspex said:
There was nothing obviously wrong with the problem as stated, but you left out what the questions were. If it asked for the velocity at various points then it would be fine.

I does ask for the velocities I forgot to post that part thanks a lot!

Related to Is My Flow Rate Calculation Correct?

1. What is the purpose of measuring flow rates in a scientific experiment?

The purpose of measuring flow rates is to determine the rate at which a fluid is moving through a specific area. This information is important for understanding various processes, such as the movement of fluids in pipes, the rate of chemical reactions, and the efficiency of industrial processes.

2. How do you calculate flow rates?

Flow rates can be calculated by dividing the volume of fluid that passes through a given area per unit of time. This is typically measured in liters per second or cubic meters per hour. The formula for flow rate is Q = A x V, where Q is the flow rate, A is the area, and V is the velocity of the fluid.

3. What factors can affect flow rates?

There are several factors that can affect flow rates, including the viscosity of the fluid, the diameter of the pipe or channel, the pressure of the fluid, and the temperature. These factors can impact the speed at which the fluid flows and therefore, affect the overall flow rate.

4. How can flow rates be measured accurately?

To measure flow rates accurately, specialized equipment such as flow meters, pressure gauges, and temperature sensors can be used. These instruments provide precise measurements of the different factors that can affect flow rates. Additionally, conducting multiple trials and taking the average of the results can also help improve accuracy.

5. How can flow rates be controlled in a system?

Flow rates can be controlled in a system through various methods such as adjusting the pressure, changing the diameter of the pipe, or using valves to regulate the flow. Additionally, understanding the factors that affect flow rates can also help in controlling and optimizing the flow rate within a system.