Is my forces sketch correct for the engine experiment on a plane?

In summary, the discussion revolves around an engine experiment of a plane, where a special weighting apparatus shows a pressure force of 8.5 [kN] when the engine is active and 4.5 [kN] when it is inactive. The reactive momentum of the engine causes the force to increase and turn the plane in the opposite direction of the propeller. The question is about drawing a sketch of the forces on the wheels when the engine is on and off, with the answer being 8.5 kN up at the right support and 0.5 kN up at the left support. The weight of the plane remains constant.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

During an engine experiment of a plane, the plane stands horizontally, when one wheel is located on a special weighting apparatus. When the engine is active, the apparatus shows a pressure force of 8.5 [kN]; and when the engine is inactive, it shows pressure force of 4.5 [kN]. The increasing of the force due to the action of the engine is caused by the ation of the reactive momentum, that wants to turns the entire plane at the opposite drection to the direction of the propllelor.

(The question I'm struggling is this:)

Draw a sketch of the forces acting on the wheeks when the engine is off and when the engine is on.

(I solved the 1st question to thism finding the the reactive momentum is 12 if L is 3 [m])

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/9413/planeq.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached... is this right?

Attachments

• planesketch.jpg
    planesketch.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 405
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first sketch is good. The second is not. HINT: The weight of the plane does not change when the engine is turned on.

Ah...must be 8.5 to 0.5 right?

Dory said:
Ah...must be 8.5 to 0.5 right?
Do you mean 8.5 kN up at the right support in the diagram, and 0.5 kN up at the left support?

Exactly, PhantomJ :)

Dory said:
Exactly, PhantomJ :)
Then you are exactly right:approve:

:D w00t!
Thanks!

Related to Is my forces sketch correct for the engine experiment on a plane?

1. What is the purpose of a forces sketch?

A forces sketch is used to visually represent the different forces acting on an object in a given situation. It helps in understanding the magnitude and direction of each force and how they interact with each other.

2. How do I know if my forces sketch is correct?

To ensure the accuracy of your forces sketch, you should check if all the forces are labeled with their respective magnitudes and directions. Additionally, the forces should be drawn to scale and follow the correct vector notation.

3. Can I use a forces sketch to solve problems in physics?

Yes, forces sketches are often used in physics to solve problems involving forces and motion. By accurately representing the forces acting on an object, you can use mathematical equations, such as Newton's laws of motion, to analyze and solve the problem.

4. Is there a specific way to draw a forces sketch?

There is no one correct way to draw a forces sketch, as long as the forces are accurately represented. However, it is recommended to use arrows to indicate the direction of the force and a scale to show the magnitude of each force.

5. Can I make changes to my forces sketch if I realize it is incorrect?

Yes, it is important to make necessary adjustments to your forces sketch if you find any mistakes. This will ensure that your analysis and solution to the problem are accurate. Remember to label the changes and clearly explain the reason for the adjustments.