Is My Laptop Causing Memory Issues in COMSOL Multiphysics Simulations?

• Thread starter labd0001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comsol
In summary, the user is new to COMSOL Multiphysics and is having trouble with the software while trying to model an eddy current sensor. They are using a 1.5ghz processor and 1.2G ram, and when trying to mesh the plate, a warning pops up stating that it is out of memory. The recommended solution is to resize the mesh and use smaller elements only in the region affected by the surface phenomenon. Other suggestions include using lower order elements, partitioning the model appropriately, and trying different meshing tools. Alternatively, using higher order elements for larger areas may also yield accurate results with fewer degrees of freedom.
labd0001
Hello,

I m a student using COMSOL Multiphysics. I have to admit that I am new to this software but it is giving me loads of problems. I am trying to model an eddy current sensor by modelling the coil and a plate (mild steel). The size of the plate is 17mmx17mmx3mm but I had no problem with the geometry.
The skin depth at 100khz is 0.1mm and therefore the mesh size has to be at least 0.05mm. Unfortunately when I mesh the plate, a warning is popping up stating that it is out of memory. I am using a 1.5ghz processor(intel) and 1.2G ram. do you think that the problem is the laptop?

Any replies are greatly appreciated
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The mesh size only has to be small in the vicinity of the surface effect. Meshing the entire part using tiny elements is a waste of memory and WAY overkill. I estimate that if you use 0.05mm elements across the entire part, you'll end up with a mesh of about 7 million elements- far outside the capability of a standard laptop or desktop computer. You'll probably want to keep your model down to 100,000 elements or so to ensure it solves in a reasonable amount of time and doesn't run out of memory.

I would recommend resizing the mesh so that the elements are small within the surface phenomenon's region, and you can use larger elements in the middle of the part.

Also, comsol by default typically uses higher order elements --> reduce the order. Partition the model appropriately if possible to enable higher mesh gradients. Use the comsol's mesh density options for point/boundary/subdomain. If it still presents problems, try the mapped meshing and interactive meshing tools to accurately specify element numbers at critical areas.

Also, it may be an option to do opposite what suggested at first and use "much higher" order elements and model larger areas with "a couple" of elements still with fair accuracy due to the complexity of the test/interpolation functions. In some cases yields best accuracy with fewest dof.

Related to Is My Laptop Causing Memory Issues in COMSOL Multiphysics Simulations?

What is COMSOL MULTIPHYSICS simulation?

COMSOL MULTIPHYSICS is a software platform used for simulating and analyzing physical systems in various fields such as engineering, physics, chemistry, and biology. It allows for the simulation of multiple physical phenomena, such as fluid flow, heat transfer, structural mechanics, and electromagnetics, all in one integrated environment.

How does COMSOL MULTIPHYSICS simulation work?

COMSOL MULTIPHYSICS uses a finite element method to solve partial differential equations that describe physical phenomena. The software breaks down a complex system into smaller elements, calculates the equations for each element, and then combines the results to create a comprehensive simulation of the entire system.

What are the benefits of using COMSOL MULTIPHYSICS simulation?

COMSOL MULTIPHYSICS simulation offers several benefits, including the ability to model and analyze complex physical systems, simulate multiple physical phenomena simultaneously, and visualize and analyze data in 2D and 3D. It also allows for easy integration with other software and tools, making it a versatile and powerful tool for scientific research and development.

What types of systems can be simulated using COMSOL MULTIPHYSICS?

COMSOL MULTIPHYSICS can simulate a wide range of physical systems, including but not limited to electrical circuits, heat exchangers, fluid flow in pipes and channels, structural components, and chemical reactions. It is also suitable for multiphysics simulations, where multiple physical phenomena are involved in a single system.

Are there any limitations to using COMSOL MULTIPHYSICS simulation?

While COMSOL MULTIPHYSICS is a powerful and versatile simulation tool, it does have some limitations. It requires a high level of technical expertise to use effectively, and simulations can be time-consuming and computationally intensive. Additionally, the accuracy of the simulation results depends on the quality of the input data and assumptions made in the simulation setup.