Is My LED Circuit Safe? Understanding the FET Safe Operating Area

• Thread starter rbelli1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Fet
In summary, the schematic shows that the maximum safe operating area for the 2n7000 FET is 20 volts and 40 milliamps. The dashed line indicates the power dissipation of the device with the specified voltages applied.
rbelli1
Gold Member
I am designing a circuit to control an LED. The current will be under 40mA and the 2n7000 FET has a maximum operating current of 200mA continuous. See attached schematic. The switch in my final circuit is actually another IC.

I looked up the http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/2N%2F2N7000.pdf" and everything looked fine until I got to the Maximum Safe Operating Area on page 6.

20 Volts and 40mA are above the safe operating area with 10 Volts on the gate. Vds will be 20V in the off state but very small after the FET turns on. The solid DC line looks like the maximum continuous power dissipation of the device. The dashed line indicates the power dissipation of Rdson with the specified voltages applied.

Will the attached schematic violate the safe area? If so, why? If not what does the the graph mean?

Many thanks to anyone that can clear up my understanding of this FET

BoB

Attachments

• fet.jpg
    fet.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 518
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Those plots are just trying to show how much power you can dissipate safely in the FET. X-axis is V, y-axis is I, multiply together to get P. With the right voltage even a current below Ids(max) can be "unsafe" if it causes the FET to over heat due to excess power in the FET.

You notice as the pulse time gets shorter the peak power of the pulse can go up.

Your circuit is below the "safe" line (meaning there will not be too much power in the FET) thus it is safe.

So as long as the on state is below the line I will be safe?

BoB

In terms of power rating, yes.

You have the other specs covered as well though so I don't think your design will have an issue.

Thanks. I was worried that there was some aspect of the care and feeding of FETS that I was unaware of.

BoB

Related to Is My LED Circuit Safe? Understanding the FET Safe Operating Area

1. What is FET Safe Operating Area (SOA)?

FET Safe Operating Area (SOA) refers to the set of conditions under which a Field Effect Transistor (FET) can operate safely without being damaged or causing malfunctions.

2. Why is FET Safe Operating Area important?

FET Safe Operating Area is important because exceeding the specified limits can cause permanent damage to the FET, resulting in failure or malfunction, which can be costly and time-consuming to repair or replace.

3. What are the factors that determine FET Safe Operating Area?

The most important factors that determine FET Safe Operating Area are the maximum drain-source voltage (VDS), the maximum drain current (ID), and the maximum power dissipation (PD) of the FET, which are specified by the manufacturer.

4. How can I ensure that I am operating within the FET Safe Operating Area?

To ensure that you are operating within the FET Safe Operating Area, you should check the datasheet provided by the manufacturer for the maximum ratings of VDS, ID, and PD, and make sure that your circuit design and operating conditions fall within these limits.

5. What are the consequences of operating outside the FET Safe Operating Area?

Operating outside the FET Safe Operating Area can result in permanent damage to the FET, causing it to fail or malfunction. This can lead to system failures, increased production costs, and potential safety hazards.

Back