Is my method for solving the GRE Relativity Problem correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving a problem involving calculating the total energy and rest energy of particles. The focus is on finding the correct value for γ and β, with one method suggested as the most efficient approach. The conversation also mentions a possible alternative method, but it is acknowledged that it may be more time-consuming.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

http://grephysics.net/ans/8677/20

So to do this, I solved for the total rest energy of both particles.
The rest energy of Kaon + K = Rest energy of Proton
Rest energy of Proton - Rest Energy of Kaon = K
K = P^2/2m
((Rest Energy of Proton - Rest Energy of Kaon)*(2*Mass of Kaon))^1/2 = P

P = mv/(sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

If I do this and do all the algebra correct and solve for v, will this method give me the correct answer? I got the wrong answer but I suck at numbers X_x.

I realize after looking at the answers on the website this is a poor way to do this problem with GRE time constraints, I just want to know if this thought process is flawed or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the rest energy of a particle is 494 MeV, and its total energy is 938 MeV, what is γ? Since [itex]γ=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}[/itex], square both sides and solve for β2 in terms of γ2. What is the value of β?

Yeah, I see that this is the best way to do it. I was just wondering if my way works (even though it would take way longer).

Related to Is my method for solving the GRE Relativity Problem correct?

1. What is the GRE Relativity Problem?

The GRE Relativity Problem is a question that appears on the Physics GRE exam, which tests the understanding of Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. What does the GRE Relativity Problem test?

The GRE Relativity Problem tests the understanding of special and general relativity, including concepts such as time dilation, length contraction, and the equivalence principle.

3. How can I prepare for the GRE Relativity Problem?

To prepare for the GRE Relativity Problem, it is important to have a solid understanding of the principles of relativity and to practice solving problems related to time dilation, length contraction, and the equivalence principle.

4. Are there any tips for solving the GRE Relativity Problem?

Some helpful tips for solving the GRE Relativity Problem include drawing diagrams to visualize the scenario, carefully reading and understanding the question, and using the equations and principles of relativity to solve the problem.

5. Is the GRE Relativity Problem difficult?

Many students find the GRE Relativity Problem to be challenging, as it requires a strong understanding of complex physics concepts and the ability to apply them to solve problems. However, with proper preparation and practice, it is possible to successfully solve the problem on the exam.