Is My Momentum Lab Chart Correct?

In summary, the conversation is about a lab simulation involving two pucks colliding and the calculation of their velocities, momentum, and total kinetic energy. The given variables include the x and y positions of the pucks, their mass, and the time of the simulation. The table to be filled includes variables for both pucks and their resultant velocities and momentums. The method for calculating velocities and momentum is discussed and it is verified that the process is correct. The conversation also clarifies that momentum is a vector and can be added together, while kinetic energy is a scalar and can be calculated using the speed variables.
silentcoder
Hi,
I have to do a lab simulation and fill out information in a chart. The lab simulates two pucks hitting with each other. It is suppose to be a momentum lab. I have filled most of the chart but am not sure if its correct. So I would like you to verify it. Plz and TY

These are the only given variables:
I had to record x and y positions of both pucks(circles) for first 2 frames of simulation, Mass is also given and time is 0.050s
pic1.png

This is the table i am suppose to fill:
picmain.png

v1x and v1y are suppose to be for circle1
vlx' and v1y' are suppose to be for circle2
v1 and v1y' are both resultant velocity

p1x and p1y are x and y momentum for circle1
p1x' and p1y' are x and y momentum for circle2

To find velocities i simply subtracted frame 2 position from frame 1 and divide it by the time
To find the momentum i simply multiplied x and y components to the mass

For P Total X, can i just add both x components together?

How can i find Total Kinetic Energy?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks correct.
Momentum are vectors, so yes, just add the components to get the total - just like you would treat forces.
Use the v1 and v1' speeds for the kinetic energy. Energy is a scalar - no need to take directions into account.

Related to Is My Momentum Lab Chart Correct?

1. What is a Momentum Lab?

A Momentum Lab is a scientific experiment that measures the momentum of objects in motion. It is used to verify the principles of momentum, which states that an object's mass and velocity determine its momentum.

2. Why is it important to verify a Momentum Lab?

Verification of a Momentum Lab is important because it ensures that the results of the experiment are accurate and reliable. It also allows for the confirmation of the principles of momentum and can lead to further scientific discoveries.

3. How is a Momentum Lab verified?

A Momentum Lab is verified through careful measurement and analysis of the data collected during the experiment. This includes checking for any errors or inconsistencies in the data, as well as comparing the results to known scientific principles and previous experiments.

4. What are some common sources of error in a Momentum Lab?

Some common sources of error in a Momentum Lab include human error in measurement or calculation, external forces such as friction or air resistance, and experimental equipment malfunctions. It is important to identify and account for these sources of error in order to accurately verify the results of the experiment.

5. How can the results of a Momentum Lab be used?

The results of a Momentum Lab can be used to better understand the principles of momentum and how they apply to real-world situations. This information can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and even sports, to improve our understanding and use of momentum in practical applications.