Is My Newton's Law Homework Answer Correct?

In summary, Newton's Law, also known as the Law of Universal Gravitation, explains the force of gravity that governs the motion of objects in the universe. It was first discovered and confirmed by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century through observations and studying the works of previous scientists. Modern experiments, such as the Cavendish experiment and the Apollo 15 experiment, have also confirmed the law. While there are exceptions, such as at the quantum level or with extremely large objects, it is important to continue confirming Newton's Law as it is a fundamental principle in physics and has led to numerous advancements in our understanding of the universe.
whoareyou

Homework Statement

I tried solving the question below, but I get a different answer than any available inthe m multiple choice.

QMYzNvQ.png

Homework Equations

Netwon's Second Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I get 82N. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/incpl2.html gives me 82N for the tension as well. Am I incorrect? Apparently, the answer is E.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The value that you calculated looks correct for the given problem statement.

FAQ: Is My Newton's Law Homework Answer Correct?

1. What is Newton's Law and why is it important to confirm it?

Newton's Law, also known as the Law of Universal Gravitation, states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. It is important to confirm this law because it explains the force of gravity that governs the motion of objects in the universe.

2. How was Newton's Law first discovered and confirmed?

Newton's Law was first discovered and confirmed by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century. He was able to formulate the law by observing the motion of objects and studying the works of previous scientists such as Galileo and Kepler.

3. What are some modern experiments that confirm Newton's Law?

There have been many modern experiments that have confirmed Newton's Law, including the Cavendish experiment which measured the gravitational force between two masses, the Apollo 15 experiment which dropped a hammer and a feather on the moon to demonstrate that they fall at the same rate, and the LAGEOS experiment which measured the gravitational pull of the Earth on a satellite.

4. Are there any exceptions to Newton's Law?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to Newton's Law, such as when dealing with extremely small objects at the quantum level or very large objects with strong gravitational fields, such as black holes. In these scenarios, Einstein's theory of general relativity is needed to accurately describe the motion of objects.

5. Why is it important to continue confirming Newton's Law?

It is important to continue confirming Newton's Law because it is a fundamental principle in physics and has been used to make countless predictions and advancements in our understanding of the universe. By confirming the law, we can continue to improve our understanding of gravity and potentially discover new phenomena that may challenge or expand upon it.

Back