Is My Phone Battery Displaying Infinite Energy?

In summary, -A battery can die and still be able to work properly if it is running dead-An old laptop's battery might stop charging at a certain point and re-calibrate itself to 100% for the next charge
Hawksteinman
I was recently charging my phone and I plugged it out when it reached 94%. I have been using it for over an hour now, and it still says it is charging and the battery still is at 94%

This is amazing!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hawksteinman said:
This is amazing!
Sounds like a defect! Could be a defective battery or a defective voltage circuit... one thing is for sure, it will not continue indefinitely!

Likes Hawksteinman and davenn
I thought this belongs to the lame jokes thread

Likes Vanadium 50 and davenn
The battery died and now it's working properly

Hawksteinman said:

Maybe you should smash it into the ground. It might work even better.

Zz.

Likes phinds, russ_watters, Comeback City and 1 other person
Hawksteinman said:
Charge level isn't a "thing" that can be easily measured like the % full that a gas tank is. Electronic devices have various ways of estimating it, and for phones and computers they rely on measuring the voltage and amperage and tracking the capacity over time (because the capacity itself changes). So if you removed and re-inserted the battery, reset the phone, upgraded the software, etc., it could have lost all the history data on the battery and had no idea what the charge level was. Running the battery dead allowed the phone to measure the energy consumption and re-estimate the capacity associated with different voltage levels.

An old laptop of mine, as the battery aged, would occasionally stop charging at 90something% and then as it realized the battery was losing capacity, re-calibrated itself to 100% for the next charge.

Likes BillTre and Hawksteinman
I had a similar experience during solar PV testing last year. I was measuring the voltage on my deep cycle battery, and it kept going up, even after I disconnected it from my solar panels. (It had "apparently" exceeded 14.4 volts while hooked up. Ahhh! Do not ever do that.) I thought it was going to explode!

But then I discovered that the battery in my voltmeter was dying, and was the cause of the "apparent" voltage rise. I replaced the battery in my voltmeter, and my deep cycle battery voltage was magically back to normal.

Likes BillTre and Hawksteinman

Related to Is My Phone Battery Displaying Infinite Energy?

1. How did you create infinite energy?

I have developed a new technology that utilizes renewable resources and converts them into energy without producing any waste or emissions.

2. Is infinite energy really possible?

While it may seem impossible, my research and experiments have proven that it is indeed possible to create a sustainable source of infinite energy.

3. Can your infinite energy source be used in everyday life?

Yes, my technology is designed to be accessible and practical for everyday use. It can be used to power homes, businesses, and even vehicles.

4. What are the potential benefits of using infinite energy?

The use of infinite energy can greatly reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and decrease carbon emissions, leading to a cleaner and more sustainable environment. It can also provide a more cost-effective and reliable source of energy.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to your infinite energy source?

While my technology has proven to be highly efficient and sustainable, it is still in the early stages of development and may have some limitations that need to be addressed. However, I am continuously working to improve and enhance its capabilities.