Is My Product of Sums Equation and NOR Gate Schematic Correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum Product of Sums equation and drawing a circuit using NOR gates. The minimum equation is (\bar{w} + x)(\bar{y} + z + \bar{x})(y + w + \bar{x}) and using NOR gates requires duplicating inputs. It is suggested to split the output of P and feed it into both inputs of NOR instead of using two sub-circuits.
shamieh
Just need someone to check my work. Couldn't find the problem via Google.

$f$(W,X,Y,Z) M (0,1,2,7,12,15) + d(3,13).

1)Find the minimum Product of Sums equation using a K-Map.

2)Draw a schematic of a minimized circuit implementing the logic using NOR gates.

1) My Answer: \(\displaystyle (\bar{w} + x)(\bar{y} + z + \bar{x})(y + w + \bar{x})\)

2) My Answer: View attachment 1411

Attachments

• pphoto.png
    pphoto.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 63
Technology news on Phys.org
I agree with 1). As for 2), NOR can express AND, OR and NOT: see Wikipedia. However, expressing the usual connectives through NOR requires duplication of inputs. For example, PQ (the conjunction of P and Q) equals (P NOR P) NOR (Q NOR Q). If P is itself a big expression, the resulting expression is at least twice as big because P is used two times. So when constructing a circuit, you probably should split the output of P and feed it into both inputs of NOR instead of having two sub-circuits representing P.

on)

Thank you.

Related to Is My Product of Sums Equation and NOR Gate Schematic Correct?

1. What is the "Product of Sums" problem?

The "Product of Sums" problem is a Boolean algebra problem that involves simplifying Boolean expressions. It requires finding the product of multiple simplified sums in order to simplify a larger Boolean expression.

2. How do you solve the "Product of Sums" problem?

To solve the "Product of Sums" problem, you first need to simplify each individual sum in the expression. Then, you can find the product of the simplified sums by using the distributive property and combining like terms. Finally, you can simplify the resulting expression using Boolean algebra rules.

3. What is the difference between "Product of Sums" and "Sum of Products"?

While "Product of Sums" involves finding the product of simplified sums, "Sum of Products" involves finding the sum of simplified products. In other words, "Product of Sums" simplifies an expression by finding the product of sums, while "Sum of Products" simplifies an expression by finding the sum of products.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving the "Product of Sums" problem?

Some common mistakes when solving the "Product of Sums" problem include forgetting to distribute a negative sign, not simplifying individual sums before finding the product, and making errors in combining like terms. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can the "Product of Sums" problem be applied in real life?

The "Product of Sums" problem can be applied in various fields such as computer science, engineering, and economics. In computer science, it is used in circuit design and optimization. In engineering, it is used in Boolean logic and control systems. In economics, it is used in decision-making processes and game theory.