Is my solution for a gravitational problem correct?

In summary, two questions were discussed regarding the calculation of gravitational potential energy. In the first question, the book solution was found to be correct by using the energy balance equation. In the second question, the change in gravitational potential energy was correctly determined by using final-initial, where the potential energy becomes less negative, resulting in a positive difference.
WeiLoong

Homework Statement

A stationary object is released from a point P at distance 4R from the centre of the Earth which has radius R and mas M.What is the speed of the object when it hits the Earth's surfacehttps://scontent-kul1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t34.0-12/11921921_10204785254702789_1979507807_n.jpg?oh=4a62967277ee876cb2de85befad6b89a&oe=55E68D61

Homework Equations

Gravitational

The Attempt at a Solution

By using the principle of conservational of energy.
1/2mv^2=-GMm/R-(-GMm/4R)
which is the final point-initial point

but the solution is
1/2mv^2=-GMm/4R-(-GMm/R)
which is the initial point-final point

So which 1 is correct i got little bit confused here.Arent we should use the final-initial to find the changes of gravitatinal potential energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

The kinetic energy is positive. Potential energy is negative, so the book solution is correct. The energy balance you want to solve for is:

##E_{\rm kin, final } + E_{\rm potential, final} = E_{\rm kin, initial } + E_{\rm potential, initial}## with ## E_{\rm kin, initial } = 0 ##. If you write that out, which one do you get ?

Hi, thank you for your explanation :smile:
another thing that confused me is this question

The figure below shows a point P which at a distance R from the centre of the Earth, has gravitational potential of -6kJ kg^-1 . What is the change in gravitational potential energy when a 1kg mass is moved from point P to point Q, 2R away from the centre of the earth?
https://scontent-kul1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t34.0-12/11922950_10204785470108174_1313158553_n.jpg?oh=f63e57fca18f483818a21a849bed979c&oe=55E67634

So Gravitational potential energy at point Q is -3kJkg^-1
The change in gravitational potential energy is P-Q or Q-P. I get really confused here. since the question above use Inital - final, so i should use gravitational in point P- point Q also?

Better to write down an expression for the ratio of these energies...

Sorry, too fast. Does the potential energy become less negative ? That is the same as saying it increases, so the difference is positive.

And in the question above you did not use initial - final but initial = final. See the expression ##E_{...}##

Likes WeiLoong
Owh so the second question is using final - initial to find up the change?
-3-(-6)=+3 ?

correct me if i did mistake :D
by the way thanks for answer i truthly appreciate:woot:

No need for correction. You are doing fine !

Related to Is my solution for a gravitational problem correct?

What is a gravitational problem?

A gravitational problem is a scientific issue that involves understanding and predicting the effects of gravity on objects.

What are the main laws that govern gravitational problems?

The main laws that govern gravitational problems are Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation and Einstein's Theory of General Relativity.

What are some common examples of gravitational problems?

Some common examples of gravitational problems include calculating the trajectory of a satellite orbiting a planet, predicting the motion of planets in the solar system, and understanding the formation of galaxies.

How do scientists approach solving gravitational problems?

Scientists use mathematical equations and advanced technologies such as telescopes and satellites to observe and collect data on gravitational phenomena. They also use computer simulations and models to test their theories and predictions.

What are some potential real-world applications of solving gravitational problems?

Solving gravitational problems can help us understand and predict the movement of celestial bodies, which is crucial for space exploration and satellite navigation. It also allows us to study and potentially manipulate gravity, leading to advancements in areas such as propulsion and energy generation.