Is My Understanding of Factorial (2n+1)! Correct?

• Thread starter motornoob101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factorial
The correct way to rewrite (2n+1)! is (2n+1)(2n)!.In summary, the conversation is discussing the factorial (2n+1)! and the confusion between the previous term and the correct way to rewrite it. It is clarified that the previous term is (2n+1) - 1, not (2(n-1) + 1) and that the correct way to rewrite (2n+1)! is (2n+1)(2n)!. The confusion arises from the use of the ratio test in determining convergent/divergent series.
motornoob101
For the factorial (2n+1)!, I thought the previous term is going to be (2(n-1)+1), which is equal to (2n-1).

Thus (2n+1)!= (2n+1)(2n-1)!

However, in the textbook, they have it as .

[tex] a_n= \frac{(2n-1)!}{(2n+1)!}=\frac{(2n-1)!}{(2n+1)(2n)(2n-1)!}[/tex]

Are they wrong or I am wrong? Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The previous term of (2n+1) is (2n + 1) - 1 not (2(n-1) + 1).

In General if you have (f(x))! You can rewrite as f(x)*(f(x) - 1)!

What you tried which is incorrect is f(x)(f(x-1))!

See the difference?

Ah ok. I see thanks. The reason I thought I was correct because I was looking at this example..

Which they are trying to determine if a series is convergent/divergent by the ratio test

eq0024MP.gif

eq0025MP.gif

Notice how they change 2n-1 to 2(n+1)-1? That's what confused me. Now I know they do it because it is the ratio test and you are trying to put [tex]a_{n+1}[/tex] but isn't that the same as what the factorial is doing? Thanks.

Attachments

• eq0024MP.gif
    eq0024MP.gif
    435 bytes · Views: 450
You are confusing terms in the sum, and terms within the factorial.

Related to Is My Understanding of Factorial (2n+1)! Correct?

What is a factorial?

A factorial is a mathematical operation that is denoted by the exclamation mark (!). It is used to calculate the product of a positive integer and all the positive integers below it. For example, 5! would equal 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

Why is factorial important?

Factorials are used in various mathematical and scientific fields, such as probability and statistics, to calculate combinations and permutations. They are also used in computer science and programming for tasks such as sorting and searching algorithms.

What is the formula for calculating factorial?

The formula for factorial is n! = n x (n-1) x (n-2) x ... x 3 x 2 x 1, where n is the positive integer. This can also be written as n! = n x (n-1)!.

What are some common examples of factorial calculations?

Factorials are commonly used in probability and statistics to calculate the number of combinations or permutations of a certain set of objects. For example, the number of ways to arrange a deck of cards is 52!, and the number of ways to choose 5 cards from a deck of 52 is 52! / (5! x (52-5)!), which simplifies to 52C5.

Are there any special properties of factorial?

Yes, there are some special properties of factorial, such as n! = (n+1)! / (n+1) and n! = (n-1)! x n. These properties can be useful in simplifying factorial expressions and solving equations involving factorials.