Is my whiteboard actually porcelain/ceramic steel?

• Thread starter zernikepolynomial
  • Start date
zernikepolynomial
I got this 4x8 ft whiteboard for $150, and it is supposed to be porcelain. The guy I bought it from didn't really know much about it, but he thought it was porcelain because it was very heavy. The guy told me that his wife got it from a used sale for some government building that was being cleared out. The board was old, but it looked in ok shape, so I bought it. Upon closer inspection, there are a few imperfections. There is a tiny scratch or nick near one of the edges, and there is a couple tiny donut shaped imperfections in the surface, with a possible pin hole in the center of them. These imperfect are so small you wont notice them unless you really look for them, such as at a steep reflective angle.

Now, I am not a expert on ceramic enameled steel, but one thing I do know is they are supposed to be difficult to damage and resistant to scratching. I wonder if the donut shaped imperfections were a flaw in the enameling process? Like a trapped air bubble escaping, leaving the tiny ring shapes during the enameling process?

I tried picking at the tiny nick to see if it was stable or not, and I cant make it any worse, so the coating seems super tough. It must have been a pretty strong impact.

Furthermore, I tested the board using a knife to try and scratch the surface (near the edge), but I could not seem to produce a visible or palpable scratch. As far as I know, painted steel boards can be scratched by a metal knife and leave visible damage, while ceramic will generally not unless repeatedly attacked by an abrasive.

Do you think I scored big? This board would probably retail >$500. It looks closest to a best-rite porcelain whiteboard, which is really expensive.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You might test it with a magnet, to determine if it has a steel backing.

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

You might test it with a magnet, to determine if it has a steel backing.

I forgot to mention that was the first thing he presented. More importantly, I actually tested both sides, and it is made using the same foil backed MDF wood with a steel top. But is it ceramic or paint? Is paint really that easy to scratch with a metal knife?

If you can scrape some white coating off with the edge of a razor blade, then it is probably an organic paint or a powder coating of polymer, not a ceramic. Does the material you scrape off burn?

If you can find the manufacturer's name, brand, advertisement, or patent number, then you can search the web with that information.

Related to Is my whiteboard actually porcelain/ceramic steel?

What is the difference between porcelain/ceramic steel and other whiteboard surfaces?

Porcelain/ceramic steel whiteboards are made by fusing a thin layer of ceramic onto a steel substrate at high temperatures. This creates a highly durable, scratch-resistant surface that is also resistant to staining and ghosting. Other whiteboard surfaces, like melamine or painted steel, are generally less durable and more prone to staining and ghosting over time.

How can I test if my whiteboard is porcelain/ceramic steel?

One simple test is to use a magnet. Porcelain/ceramic steel whiteboards are magnetic due to the steel substrate. Additionally, you can check for durability by trying to scratch the surface lightly with a key or coin; porcelain/ceramic steel surfaces are highly scratch-resistant compared to other materials.

Why does my whiteboard stain or ghost even though it is supposed to be porcelain/ceramic steel?

While porcelain/ceramic steel whiteboards are highly resistant to staining and ghosting, they are not completely immune. Improper cleaning methods, the use of low-quality markers, or leaving markings on the board for extended periods can still cause issues. Regular maintenance with appropriate cleaning solutions can help maintain the surface quality.

Are porcelain/ceramic steel whiteboards more expensive than other types?

Yes, porcelain/ceramic steel whiteboards are generally more expensive than other types like melamine or painted steel. The higher cost is due to the superior durability, resistance to staining and ghosting, and longer lifespan. Over time, the investment can be cost-effective due to reduced maintenance and replacement needs.

How do I properly clean and maintain a porcelain/ceramic steel whiteboard?

To maintain a porcelain/ceramic steel whiteboard, use a soft cloth or whiteboard eraser for regular cleaning. For deeper cleaning, use a whiteboard cleaner or a solution of water and mild detergent. Avoid abrasive cleaners and tools that could damage the surface. Regular maintenance will help ensure the board remains in good condition and free from stains and ghosting.