Is Our Desire for Answers Outweighing the Pursuit of Understanding in Science?

• Thread starter Kristconrath
  • Start date
In summary, the pursuit of answers in science has often overshadowed the importance of understanding. This can lead to oversimplification of complex concepts and hinder the true progress of scientific understanding. However, some argue that the desire for answers is a necessary driving force for scientific advancement. Ultimately, a balance between seeking answers and pursuing deeper understanding is crucial for the advancement of science.
Kristconrath
How did you find PF?
google search
Hello. I'm intrigued by the ideas of thinkers who have given light to that which was previously unknown. I wonder, though, if our need to answer questions by unsubstantiated theories has gained more importance than the need to truly understand each component of a "why" and how it all plays into the makings of the universe(s).
I have no formal training in physics or any other branch of science. I do have an inquisitive mind and look with appreciation and fascination at everything.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kristconrath said:
our need to answer questions by unsubstantiated theories
Welcome to PhysicsForums! We mainly discuss substantiated theories around here (ones that are supported by lots of experimental evidence). Enjoy! :smile:

Likes Kristconrath